toasty1435

Janome Hd 1000

Anyone use or heard of these? I'm looking for a verstile sewing machine for both fabrics and leathers. The type of work I'm doing is sewing 4-5oz leather onto felt or 4-5oz pieces together. I mostly need something that has the ability to do light leather work but also fabric. 5oz is the thickest I would be using.

Hello,

Did you ever get an opportunity to try a Janome HD1000 for leather work?

I have one, but I've yet to attempt to sew leather with it. I may give it a spin this weekend, but was hoping to hear of any experience you may have had with one.

Thanks...

Anyone use or heard of these? I'm looking for a verstile sewing machine for both fabrics and leathers. The type of work I'm doing is sewing 4-5oz leather onto felt or 4-5oz pieces together. I mostly need something that has the ability to do light leather work but also fabric. 5oz is the thickest I would be using.

Toasty, Might I suggest you read the pinned topic at the top of this section By Wizcrafts. I myself have a Singer 31-20 with a roller foot on it, does what I need it to. Most of my Chap leathers are sewn on a walking foot industrial Ferdco Pro 1245. sews from 3 oz to 3/8 super good. From there I go to a 441 Clone. My experience which is limited has been buy a really good machine designed to do the job at hand and you will buy once and save a lot of money and HEADACHES in the long run. If it does not have an industrial stand under it and powered by an industrial motor, I consider it a household machine. Great for building clothes but has no place in my shop. I build saddles, tack, chaps, personal items, wallets, photo albums, belts etc. HTH. Ken

Edited by Ken Nelson

I have one of these machine that I use to sew fabrics, they are great with up to 4 - 6 layers of denim or twill. With regard to leather, a friend of mine is a Janome dealer, and his advice to me was not to attempt any more than 2 - 3 oz. of soft/garment leather with a leather point needle. Thread will also be an issue since he didn't recommend any heavier than 69.