Uwe

Mystery "american" Leather Stitcher Machine

This machine came up for sale locally. I shouldn't even be looking, but I'm intrigued. Does anyone recognize it and have some info or resources on it? The person selling it knows *nothing* and I'm certainly no expert on these machines. What's a reasonable value for a machine like this assuming it's in good working order?

post-56402-0-31286700-1424227683_thumb.j

I knew I'd figure it out myself as soon as I asked. It's apparently an "American Straight Needle Stitcher" and may or may not be made by Landis. It's worth somewhere between $500 and $1,500 based on for sale postings I came across. It weighs around 500 lbs and will *not* find it's way into my basement. There a nice tutorial by boot maker Lisa Sorrell on youtube on how to operate the machine:

If anybody is interested, here's the CL posting that is asking $950 for the machine near Toledo, Ohio:

http://toledo.craigslist.org/for/4871315670.html

If the machine is in working order then they are probably not too bad on price. The throat length is the biggest drawback. Going to pick one up in early march. Hopefully won't lose any fingers or toes getting it moved in. I've heard they can be broke down into 2 pieces for easier moving. I'm no expert and haven't seen one in person so take it for what its worth. Good Luck in your search!

It is an American straight needle. I bought one last summer. For less then that. They are available totally rebuilt from Landis international in Montreal for $ 3500.00 At a glance it looks like this one is either partly taken apart or has a few pieces missing. It does not have the flat table on it. and it looks like the sole stitching plate is not on it either. They can be set up either as a sole stitcher or for flat sew. I have mine set up to sew flat and it is limited to get about 4 inches in from the edge.

I know this thread is old but . . .

I have a flat bed for one of these I'd sell someone.

I used to have one of these. They are a needle and awl machine with an extremely narrow throat. set up right they make one of the most beautiful stitches you will ever see.

For belts or holsters they'd be alright but, again, the throat is extremely narrow. Limited use. Some guys swear by them for sole stitching on boots & shoes.