Sign in to follow this  
JustWakinUp

Does it hurt leather to color it?

I'm curious, when i see all this leather with all these vibrant colors on it I can't help thinking that somehow that has to harm the leather. Does it close the poors of the leather and deteriorate it?

Well anyway, the question is I want to start putting some paint on a few projects and I would like to know the best type of paint to use and where to purchase it as well as the best procedure of getting on the leather. Example: brush, air brush, etc...

I'm curious, when i see all this leather with all these vibrant colors on it I can't help thinking that somehow that has to harm the leather. Does it close the poors of the leather and deteriorate it?

Well anyway, the question is I want to start putting some paint on a few projects and I would like to know the best type of paint to use and where to purchase it as well as the best procedure of getting on the leather. Example: brush, air brush, etc...

Since nobody has responded to this question, I will take a shot at it. I dont think painting or dying leather is harmful to the leather. You can color leather with spirit dye or acrylic paint or a combination. You can also use antiques or highlighters. These can be purchased from any leather store such as Tandy or Hidecrafter etc. You can also get acrylic from most hobby or craft stores. It can be put on with a brush or an airbrush. You might want to go and read some of the posts in the "dyes and finishes" section of the forum to get some ideas. Your questions have been discussed in that section and maybe you can get some answers there.

Clay

New to the board, but a lot of my work ends up being painted...

First some questions, then some general opinions -

Will the piece be flexed a lot? Will it be exposed to water?

If going the paint route...

Acrylics are what you want to use... never ever ever use enamels on the leather. This is from bad experience. Any flex whatsoever, and enamel will peel right off like it was never there. Any force (rubbing) and you get the same issue.. only use acrylics.

For items that'll flex a good deal (belts, bracelets, etc) thin your first few layers of acrylic, and if you have an airbrush, use that. The way it applies the acrylic in tiny droplets to form a coat make a more flexible bond than brushing on the paint. If you don't have an airbrush, water-thinned acrylic works... paint thinned with fabric or textile medium works even better. The point is thin coats to keep the flex.

Acrylic WILL peel off if it gets wet, however. Like a rubbery skin. It's how it's made. If the item will be exposed to any water, use a sealer. NOT NEAT LAC... Neat Lac and acrylic do not mix. Oddly enough, an acrylic based *sealer* will resist water, but regular paints will not. Do at least two coats. Shouldn't change the colors of your paints other than maybe make them more glossy.

Hope this helps.

Why does nobody use oil based paint? I know that it dries slowly, but how does it bond with the leather?

L.A. Pat

If the item will be exposed to any water, use a sealer. NOT NEAT LAC... Neat Lac and acrylic do not mix.

Actually, I do use Neat Lac/Saddle Lac, but only as a spray, never wipe (it will smear the paint).