steveb

seat strap for the shiny penny

so, i am in the mood to share this story for some reason - humor me here cowboys and saddle conjurers, i got a little bikery kinda story to tell, with a leather topping, so y'all can tawk saddles, hibnobgoblins, piddle pouches or whatever...lol.. later...

anyway, excuse me - after a lifetime of riding older bikes -, i traded in "big blue", an 18yr old FLH, I've had for 16 yrs and 135K miles and took a big chunk from the cookie jar (the wife was 100% behind it, true dat) and bought myself my first new bike - ever - in 32 years of riding - the "shiny penny" , a 2008 harley FLHX- this is a big deal if your a biker, at least it is to me, a non-rich guy and a lifelong enthusiast...but.keep in mind, i still have the "black bastard, a 86 vintage FXR hot rod stroker, i enjoy torturing cage driver with....humor me, please...this seems gibberish if your not a HD enthusiast, i know..it is kind of like equine topics are to me...lol..oh the irony!

so really - there is leather in here, i promise

so i get the shiny penny home, from the dealer on its maiden voyage and i am looking at it in my shop- and really - there is not a darn thing I'd change - i just love it to death as it is, but i want to make my "mark" on it, i mean, ya have to dont ya? I dont like bolt-on accessory crap either..i am kind of ..hmmm...picky

So here it has this butt ugly nauga-Kevlar-plastic sorta seat strap for the passenger that is solid riveted onto the a bracket which in turn is bolted to the bike, necessitating this ordeal every time you need to get under the seat..which is more frequent than any motorcyclist is bound to admit to...for some reason, we always need to pull the seat for all kinds of tomfoolery

so anyway, as i am standing there, a little freaked out i spent my bank on this new shiny thing in my flat black shop and feeling some buyers remorse, i saw the solitary piece i could change and actually IMPROVE - that damn strap.

so i made a three piece replacement with some added features:

1 - design - the strap is designed to be removable -because the strap covers a bracket that accommodates a back rest - so i can unsnap it and slide in the back rest, when i am in gotta go mode - dont have to push the strap out of the way, i just unsnap it

2 - this bike stinks as far as providing lashing points for gear - which is critical for me - because i use my bike ALOT and rack up miles from touring and even local use, so i created a system to allow a loop to take a bungee or strap

3 - the decorative center of the strap can be changed up or even given away and easily replaced. I already gave one away which was all carved with flames to a guy who wanted to frame it as art..lol...true, couldn't make it up

every one that sees it wants one and says ii should trademark it as a system (uh, yeah right), so i might have a future in making these things..which is great, because i can use all the billet ends from the belts ive been making for years!!

so there ya have it,a bed time story told to drink your warm milk by.

g'night!

steveb

Very very nice looking bike you got there. I felt the same way when I got my roadliner (yamaha). The one thing is with Harley tourers and goldwings they come with pretty much everything. Not alot your gonna do to em to really make them more useful. Nice that you found a piece to add. Looks really good too.

Just think in about 50k miles maybe the seat will wear out and you can do that yourself. You got any pics of the stroker you got.

My my, thats a nice looking HONDA..... LOL :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I'm only joking, it's fun to bug the HD guys. One day last week we were at the local store and up rolls a nice custom HD all painted up nice, cool looking bike. So when the apportunine time came when my wife was close by and the biker dude was listening, I spoke up and said, "Honey, look. what a nice Honda." well did that guy howl...

Anyway, I like your bike, nice strap thingey too...

so, i am in the mood to share this story for some reason - humor me here cowboys and saddle conjurers, i got a little bikery kinda story to tell, with a leather topping, so y'all can tawk saddles, hibnobgoblins, piddle pouches or whatever...lol.. later...

anyway, excuse me - after a lifetime of riding older bikes -, i traded in "big blue", an 18yr old FLH, I've had for 16 yrs and 135K miles and took a big chunk from the cookie jar (the wife was 100% behind it, true dat) and bought myself my first new bike - ever - in 32 years of riding - the "shiny penny" , a 2008 harley FLHX- this is a big deal if your a biker, at least it is to me, a non-rich guy and a lifelong enthusiast...but.keep in mind, i still have the "black bastard, a 86 vintage FXR hot rod stroker, i enjoy torturing cage driver with....humor me, please...this seems gibberish if your not a HD enthusiast, i know..it is kind of like equine topics are to me...lol..oh the irony!

so really - there is leather in here, i promise

so i get the shiny penny home, from the dealer on its maiden voyage and i am looking at it in my shop- and really - there is not a darn thing I'd change - i just love it to death as it is, but i want to make my "mark" on it, i mean, ya have to dont ya? I dont like bolt-on accessory crap either..i am kind of ..hmmm...picky

So here it has this butt ugly nauga-Kevlar-plastic sorta seat strap for the passenger that is solid riveted onto the a bracket which in turn is bolted to the bike, necessitating this ordeal every time you need to get under the seat..which is more frequent than any motorcyclist is bound to admit to...for some reason, we always need to pull the seat for all kinds of tomfoolery

so anyway, as i am standing there, a little freaked out i spent my bank on this new shiny thing in my flat black shop and feeling some buyers remorse, i saw the solitary piece i could change and actually IMPROVE - that damn strap.

so i made a three piece replacement with some added features:

1 - design - the strap is designed to be removable -because the strap covers a bracket that accommodates a back rest - so i can unsnap it and slide in the back rest, when i am in gotta go mode - dont have to push the strap out of the way, i just unsnap it

2 - this bike stinks as far as providing lashing points for gear - which is critical for me - because i use my bike ALOT and rack up miles from touring and even local use, so i created a system to allow a loop to take a bungee or strap

3 - the decorative center of the strap can be changed up or even given away and easily replaced. I already gave one away which was all carved with flames to a guy who wanted to frame it as art..lol...true, couldn't make it up

every one that sees it wants one and says ii should trademark it as a system (uh, yeah right), so i might have a future in making these things..which is great, because i can use all the billet ends from the belts ive been making for years!!

so there ya have it,a bed time story told to drink your warm milk by.

g'night!

steveb

SOME TIMES THINGS SHOULD JUST BE LEFT ALONE.........YES ,THE STRAP IS A VERY HANDY ITEM.

and the new Bike is awsum............. :red_bandana:

Very very nice looking bike you got there. I felt the same way when I got my roadliner (yamaha). The one thing is with Harley tourers and goldwings they come with pretty much everything. Not alot your gonna do to em to really make them more useful. Nice that you found a piece to add. Looks really good too.

Just think in about 50k miles maybe the seat will wear out and you can do that yourself. You got any pics of the stroker you got.

seats? well maybe, but i know some talented folks who could do a waay better job at a seat than I can. I'vre already got 5K on the bike and its only a month old, so i expect I will be successful at my goal - which is to wear the damn thing out.

here is a shot of another family member - the black bastard.....

steveb

My my, thats a nice looking HONDA..... LOL :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I'm only joking, it's fun to bug the HD guys. One day last week we were at the local store and up rolls a nice custom HD all painted up nice, cool looking bike. So when the apportunine time came when my wife was close by and the biker dude was listening, I spoke up and said, "Honey, look. what a nice Honda." well did that guy howl...

Anyway, I like your bike, nice strap thingey too...

well, my skin is not so thin and I am a live and let live kinda guy - so go ahead and have some fun at my expense - i say - do what makes you happy and be happy with what you do.

heres a clue for spotting a real biker (motorcycle enthusiast) real bikers really dont care what your riding, as long as its got 2 wheels and has an engine that is bigger than 50cc...lol.....posers are more concerned with marque and garb

heres a clue for spotting a real biker (motorcycle enthusiast) real bikers really dont care what your riding, as long as its got 2 wheels and has an engine that is bigger than 50cc...lol.....posers are more concerned with marque and garb

Yup.

..... And ..... Both bikes look awesome. You do some mighty fine work Steve. I've been a bit of a fan for awhile now.

Edited by Gremlin

i'm loving the black bastard myself.. its got that lived in look.. lots of good miles and stories to tell :spoton:

So, you're officially an old man? Just kidding.

That strap makes that bike. now, just pop that drivetrain in a rigid frame, spray the whole thing flat black, bang out a hand shifter and you're there. And for god's sake, convert that thing to a chain drive!!!!!! (them's jest jokes steve)

Really though, very nice bike. I'd have been afraid to touch anything and the strap does make the bike your own. (more than any chrome skull accoutrement).

John

Thanks for the kind words Gremiln, really do appreciate it

Hilo: yes, that black bike (which looks nothing like it does when i got it bone stock) has about 125K on it, most of them very hard and fast miles...very lived in...ive had it for years, through thick, thin and medium and yes, it has stories to tell...ha, luckily for me, i ususally have a camera with me - so i have quite a bit of documentation.....you can see an itty bit of it on my site

JohnD - well ya know, if being an old man means i want to be comfy before being "cool" - sign me up for being an old man.

I rode enough rough&tough machines in the past to be needing and deserving something a bit kinder to the body...and having music is slicker than eel shit too!

well have a wallet to sew and finijsh up with hardware today-grommet and a well placed rivet or two, top it off with a chain, then need to start the next one...

need to get my art together and traced, get my material cut and ready for some decorative work....

thanks for looking

and for the comments

Edited by steveb