odin

How to make a Belt Pouch ?

Hi everybody,

I want to make myself a Viking belt pouch, which looks something like this : Click here!

So, it would be very helpful, if someone could give me some advice, or a 'layout' , sites, pictures or videos. Anything that could help. I would like to do it the simplest way possible.

Thanks in advance.

Odin.

Hi everybody,

I want to make myself a Viking belt pouch, which looks something like this : Click here!

So, it would be very helpful, if someone could give me some advice, or a 'layout' , sites, pictures or videos. Anything that could help. I would like to do it the simplest way possible.

Thanks in advance.

Odin.

I'm new to leatherwork, so I don't have a lot of experience but I recentlyade a belt pouch and the one you linked to looks to me like they cut an oval for the front and

back and two rectangles that bend or flex for the sides

and bottoms and another piece for the flap then sewed it inside out and then

flipped it.

The pouch I made has a more formed shape and I used MagiKelley's great wet form bag tutorial that is stickied on the "How

do I do that" board.

Edited by ropescourseman

The best way is to make a template first. The back and front flap one piece. The front , then the gusset. As above stitch inside out then turn out. Hope this helps.

Hey guys, thanx for those advices :)

I went and bought some leather today, unfortunately they only had black leather (i wanted brown, like the picture) but i guess black will have to do..

I think i am gonna try and do something like this (roughly)  B) 

So if i suceed, im gonna post my results!

Cheers!

Why not cut out the back and flap as one piece, adding in the width of the gusset? Could save you some stitching!

Something like this (roughly):

sasea.jpg

post-7199-126204386463_thumb.jpg

Cheers celtic! Didnt even think about that :P

I make pouches very similar to this all the time, make the back and the flap one piece, and make the side one piece too. Here's what the pattern looks like:

celtpouch1.jpg

And here's a link to the raw photos if my writing is hard to read on any of those: http://hivemind.mvgc...celticpouch.zip

You can sew, lace or rivet the sides together. I typically punch a hole every inch and lace it with latigo lace, simple in-and-out, like these:

rose1.jpg

rose2.jpg

rose3.jpg

rose4.jpg

ivan1.jpg

ivan2.jpg

I make a lot of these, I like them, they're dead simple and fast to make. You can also easily make them from 4-5 oz garment leather with a snap.

Edited by hivemind

Wow hivemind THANK YOU for this! Really helpfull :)

Cheers!

Just remember to add whatever belt loops that you want on it before you assemble it, and see also that you can make the flap closure any shape you want - the bullet-point shape on my pattern is really just a placeholder - I never make them that shape.

Just remember to add whatever belt loops that you want on it before you assemble it, and see also that you can make the flap closure any shape you want - the bullet-point shape on my pattern is really just a placeholder - I never make them that shape.

Where do you get the latches you've used on those? I like them.

I get there here: http://www.hardwareelf.com/index.html in the "Latches and Locks" section. Other places have them too, but Hardware Elf will let me order and pay online. It's too much trouble to have to call a place and give a CC over the phone or have them send me a paper catalog or whatever.

Wow hivemind THANK YOU for this! Really helpfull :)

Cheers!

Hey Odin,

Yeah these pouches are pretty easy to make. The first one you posted looks like quite a bit of stitching. The ones made with a boot lace are a breeze to put together. Here's mine for a little more inspiration.

cheers,

Andy

pouch1.jpg

pouch2.jpg

pouch4.jpg

post-8183-12622432736_thumb.jpg

post-8183-126224328608_thumb.jpg

post-8183-1262243301_thumb.jpg

Edited by AndyL1

Cheers Andy...im gonna go with the boot lace, rather than stiching..:)

I get there here: http://www.hardwareelf.com/index.html in the "Latches and Locks" section. Other places have them too, but Hardware Elf will let me order and pay online. It's too much trouble to have to call a place and give a CC over the phone or have them send me a paper catalog or whatever.

Thanks for the link.

Stumbled on some at MacPherson Leather today too, while I was buying quarts of Fiebing's dye - my local guy is waiting for an order, and I need them now, so had to find a place online, and they're the most reasonable.

http://www.macphersonleather.com/1297.htm

A while ago my wife and I stumbled across a pattern at a local fabric store that had like 10 different pouch patterns in it. But upsizing the patterns a touch we started to make them in leather.

My favourite (and I'll see if I can get a picture of it) is a double pouch that has a piece that connects the two, but that is what holds it to the belt..

My wife and I are in the SCA and wanted something for carrying the car keys and such when going to events..

I will see if I can find the pattern and post a link or the pattern # for it here later on..

Kaz