SmokinP

best basketweave stamps?

What might be the best basketweave stamps for someone as a beginner? What's your favorites that you use in your own work?

SmokinP,

There are several basketstamp makers, and several styles of centers. You can go from the lower end TLF stamps to handmades. A little about my preferences with baskets first.

I like the the centers to be pretty "crisp" and make a nice impression. I like the legs to be a medium thickness. Too thick and they tend to look more open. Too thin and they tend to cut the leather rather than compress it, especially on tipped impressions. The thinner legs are also less forgiving if you get a bit off on your lining up, they miss while a slightly thicker one will overlap and won't be as obvious. Thinner legs can also be a little stickier to run. I like the area between the the legs to be deep at the ends. Some of the off-the-rack stamps are and some aren't. The shallower the stamp, the more you just mash everything down, not just the center. I like the centers deep and the weave to pop up. Some makers make their baskets more rectangular than others. I like a middle of the road, not square but not excessively long. Size-wise to start off, a middle size is probably best. The TLF 511 equivalent is a pretty versatile size. I use the equivalent of the #500 on smaller things and the larger ones on others. I have a variety of centers. I have the lined centers, ropes, dots, diamonds, braids, and thanks to a pal, some with my initials and my wife's initials. Personally I like the lined centers, but use the others quite a bit too to mix it up.

As far as makers, there are a bunch of guys making them. I have some old Craftools that are pretty good. I had some that I didn't like too. I would not spend all day hunting down a good one, though. I have a basket from Ellis Barnes that is a pretty good one, although just a bit thin on the legs and is slightly sticky. I like Barry King's the best. For the money (about $40), they are my best bargain in stamps. The stamps are made the way I like them shape and depth wise, legs are the thickness I like, and he has a variety of centers. Most of them he has in stock, so you aren't waiting forever to get them. He did a custom one with my son's brand in the center that is really cool, and only about $10 more than a normal. Jeremiah Watt has one with a little different center I will probably get when I see them next month. Wayne Jueschke has one that I will get next time I see him too. Bob Beard makes nice ones too.

Once you get going with baskets, you will find some of the old line makers - Billy Woodruff, Don King, etc. that have collectible factor plus being users. My thoughts are to get medium sized, well made ones from a modern maker of your choice. Don't spend all day hunting down preletter prefix Craftools, McMillens, or whatever. Then if baskets work for you, find new centers you like or the collectors then.

BTW, I kind of remember Custer Park as being near Kankakee? I think I bought some practice calves from a guy up there when I was going to school, but that was 25 years ago.

Here's my favorite:

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/product...number=66502-20

Its size is good for small to medium projects, and it's pretty forgiving. Rarely can I finish a basketweave without hitting the stamp wrong at least once, and mistakes are kind of hard to see with this stamp. Plus, you can't beat the price -- $5.

Regards, -Alex

Ditto to what Bruce said. I have 2 Barry Kings that I paid $40 or $45 for and were well worth the money. One of them he customized a bit (I wanted it made it just a bit longer than his stock one), and either didnt charge extra, or only charged a couple bucks extra.

Thank you a bunch guys. I'm finding there's a lot to this leatherworking as I get some time here and there to try it out. Sure enough helps having a wealth of know-how to ask questions. Among other things, I'm a machinist so I like the technical aspects of it and always been amazed at the artistry that you guys achieve. Maybe some day I'll make somethin that looks good enough to take into town.

Yep Bruce, we're about 20 some miles from Kankakee. You might have drove through the "town" of Custer Park on the way. Town pretty much consists of Custer's Last Stand bar. I live out in the boonies on the far southwest corner of Custer Park. Although it ain't on most maps, Custer Park covers quite a few miles but it's mostly farm land. We got a bunch of horses out here so if your ever comin by this way again give a holler and we'll get you to stop out.

As always, I appreciate everyone taking the time to share their knowledge and experience.

I really like Wayne Jueschke's basketweave stamps quite a but - very sharp and deep impressions -well, yes, i know these arent exactly basketweave stamps - but i just did it today, it is a pattern, ah hell - you get the idea.....

stevebaa__Medium_.jpg

stevebb__Medium_.jpg

post-5-1197932548_thumb.jpg

post-5-1197932570_thumb.jpg

Steveb, I really like that design. can you inform me (or us) on how you made this. I would also like to know and see an impression of the tool (or Tools) used. Thanks, Carlb

I hadn't paid a lot of attention to Wayne's stamps, but there is some really great detail in that stamp!!!

I see all these names but, it appears that the only place to buy is at a trade show (other than craftool). If anyone knows a source for one of the better basket weave stamps, please let me know contact info.

i dont know the name of this design, just saw it and liked it - i tend to use stamping tools in all sorts of odd and unconventional ways - all wrong no doubt....

I am sure there is a proper way to use the tool. keep in mind that is some really deep macro photography -i wanted to show what a nice stamp will do.

Crafttools wont make an impression like that - no way - not without a shite load of work, and even then...and this is a tricky beast to line up perfectly

wayne know his stuff, i like him and i like his stamps

if you want to get to Wayne, he's not hard to find - look him up in Elko, Nevada - tell him steveb from CT sentya!

steveba__Medium_.jpg

post-5-1197932419_thumb.jpg

Hey, Steve! Your logo in the pattern is a nice touch!

Johanna

thanks Johanna - for what i paid for that stamp, you sure can bet it is on all of my work...and people always comment on it.

geez

love that close up photography..shows the good, bad an er...ugly...ha!

.hmmm...its, handmade! .....thats it...lol

anyway - for the record, i cleaned (man, look at that stitiching...eek)

that beast before it went on its way acrosss country to delight its righful owner!!

dang, i got to back up more with the camera

steveb

Regis,

Here is info for some of the custom tool makers. Some have websites, some of the sites don't work, some of them dont have pictures of the tools, but I think the contact info is still good.

Jeremiah Watt

Vandyke Ranch

HC1, Box 34

Coalinga, CA 93210

559-935-2172

email

http://www.ranch2arena.com

Barry King

1751Terra Avenue

Sheridan, WY 82801

307-672-5657

email

view his catalog http://montanaleather.com/barrykingtools.htm

Robert Beard

36 Road 5243

Farmington, NM87401-1541

email

http://robertbeardtools.com

Wayne Jueschke

Box 1895

Elko, Nevada 89803

775-738-4885

Ellis Barnes

Gomph-Hackbarth Tools (The Belt Company)

10754 Martineau Rd N

Elfrida, AZ 85610

Phone: 520-642-3891

Chuck Smith Tools

PO Box 2647

Valley Center, CA 92082

Phone: 760-749-5755

Fax: 760-749-5355

email

Clay, Thanks. Got them all stored in my address book now.

I really like Wayne Jueschke's basketweave stamps quite a but - very sharp and deep impressions -well, yes, i know these arent exactly basketweave stamps - but i just did it today, it is a pattern, ah hell - you get the idea.....

Steve,

Who's petal border stamp is that?

Regards,

Ben

I can not view the Basket weave stamps you attached for some reason.

Could you e-mail them to gnaatz@mtaonline.net?

Vikefan

Edited by Vikefan

This thread is about 4 years old. Steve has not been on since Jan of this year. May try a PM or something.