I've read of some using Gum Tragacanth on the flesh side to get the fibers to lay down. I say this is done after you dye it. How are you applying it on the back side of the leather? I'm guessing with a brush? I was looking at just spraying the back side with the acrylic sealer when I do the front, but then read of some using the Gum T instead like what some use on the edges.

Gum Tac is one way but I don't like the stuff because it ususally gets somewhere you don't want it. Try this way to see if you like it. Wet the flesh side, run a little yellow paste saddle soap into the fibers, rub briskly with a piece of heavy canvas or blue jeans material always going in the same direction. This will make the fibers lay down. Let it dry and come back over it with a good finish of your choise.

Randy

Gum Tac is one way but I don't like the stuff because it ususally gets somewhere you don't want it. Try this way to see if you like it. Wet the flesh side, run a little yellow paste saddle soap into the fibers, rub briskly with a piece of heavy canvas or blue jeans material always going in the same direction. This will make the fibers lay down. Let it dry and come back over it with a good finish of your choise.

Randy

I plan on using the Gum Tac on the edges to help keep the strands down that formed from cutting it. The flesh side is pretty flat, but I figured it could fray with time. I may just do as I had planned and seal the backside with the acrylic sealer. I figure that should keep fibers from forming on the flesh side.

I, like most everyone else that started out their leather working hobby by going to the Tandy store, bought a bottle of Gum T. I have tried numerous times to find a good use for it, but keep going back to other methods that I've learned on this site that work much better (for me anyways). Now, I'm not knocking Gum T in any way as I know some use it with good success.

I recently used some to lay down the fibers on the flesh side of a flashlight holster that I'm working on. I just used a dauber to apply it, and then burnished with a bone folder and some canvas. I have had some issues with it not holding up very well and it has the appearance of cracking. I guess it's possible that I put it on too thick?? I have had better luck burnishing using canvas with glycerin soap and saddle soap, then applying Resolene as a finish. YMMV!

I, like most everyone else that started out their leather working hobby by going to the Tandy store, bought a bottle of Gum T. I have tried numerous times to find a good use for it, but keep going back to other methods that I've learned on this site that work much better (for me anyways). Now, I'm not knocking Gum T in any way as I know some use it with good success.

I recently used some to lay down the fibers on the flesh side of a flashlight holster that I'm working on. I just used a dauber to apply it, and then burnished with a bone folder and some canvas. I have had some issues with it not holding up very well and it has the appearance of cracking. I guess it's possible that I put it on too thick?? I have had better luck burnishing using canvas with glycerin soap and saddle soap, then applying Resolene as a finish. YMMV!

Hmm, I wouldn't like the idea of it cracking. After I cut the leather, I may just take my blade to shave off any strands along the edges. Dye it, then seal it with acrylic. I've read some say the acrylic will keep the frays down. I don't plan on burnishing the edges as I don't want a slick edge. Just want to minimize the fraying.

On an already wet formed holster, I mix the gum trag 1:1 with water and apply with my fingers, then rub it in with my fingers as well. After it has dried, I use a dauber to apply satin sheen.