Johanna

How to Replace a Zipper in a Jacket

I asked Bonnie to put together a tutorial of how to replace a zipper in a jacket, and she put this together to share with you. Bonnie lives in a cold state, and is friends with hundreds (thousands?) of bikers. If you have ever ridden a bike, you know how important your leathers are- and if your zipper breaks, well, you'll do anything to please the Zipper Queen, as it should be.

We all really appreciate the time you took to do this great zipper tutorial, and hope to see many more from you now. :)

Thanks, Bonnie!

~J

zipperqueenLW.pdf

zipperqueenLW.pdf

GREAT JOB WITH THE TUTORIAL. EVEN I UNDERSTOOD IT.....Doc......

Thank you, Bonnie! Much appreciated and needed tutorial. You_Rock_Emoticon.gif

Crystal

It's great to see more people sharing "how to's". Some of these things that you do so often may seem simple to you, but for some of the rest of us, the tutorials are just what we need to help us understand how some things are done. Thanks so much for the time and effort you put into this. It's really appreciated!

Great job Bonnie,

Thanks for the time you gave to make this so others can learn from your experience it took a while to put this together and I appreciate it

nice tutorial!

now i guess i will not be "scared" of doing it!

This is great. I just bought a leather jacket that actually fits me from a secondhand store, but the zipper is going and needs to be replaced; so I'm glad I found this.

Can anyone clarify the step where it says to take the bottom of the coat and pushing it away from the zipper?

Also, what kind of sewing machine needle should be used for this?

Thanks

If the slider is damaged, but the rest of the zipper is in good shape, you can get replacement slidders. They come in different widths (measured in mm) and for different types of zippers (plastic teeth, metal teeth and metal coil). Also for zippers that unzip from both ends.

A number of sliders have a number and letter on the back. The number is the width. The letter has something to do with the style, but I haven't found any reference for it. Some sewing notions stores will tell you that their slider fits all jackets. Not so!

Check sewing notions stores, outdoor outfitters, textile outfitters, etc. to find a source near you. It's a good idea to take the jacket with you to ensure the new slider fits. Else you may be making another trip to get the right one.

Tom

I don't know if the last post was regarding my question - I wasn't asking about changing the slider, I was asking about clarification on installing a whole zipper and the instructions in the PDF. Namely what it meant by pulling the end of the jacket away from the zipper when installing it; as well as what kind of sewing machine needle was needed for sewing on leather?

Thanks for the tutorial. It made sense to me!

I don't know if the last post was regarding my question - I wasn't asking about changing the slider, I was asking about clarification on installing a whole zipper and the instructions in the PDF. Namely what it meant by pulling the end of the jacket away from the zipper when installing it; as well as what kind of sewing machine needle was needed for sewing on leather?

It was some general information that could save people extra effort or expense having to replace a zipper, not an attempt to answer your specific questions. Sorry if it appeared that way.

Tom

I thought that might have been the case, but I wasn't sure. I looked at earlier posts and didn't see anything else they might have been referring to, and came so quickly after my first post, I wanted to make sure there wasn't any confusion.

Thanks

I can help you answer anything you didnt understand or question. as i did the tutorial. depending on how thick the coat is will depend on machine you use. the biker coat im doing here is done on a heavy duty machine--upholstry machine. my machine is an ANKER which is similar to the singer 31-15. mine is not a walking foot but it work for me. a walking foot would be better.

nice tutorial Bonnie

Zippers come in two types, toothed and chain: the chain type resembles a looped wire. Some types are reversible, ie a slider can work pointing in either direction, so something like a bag can take two sliders each with a half-hasp allowing a padlock, for example. There are also locks with a tooth engaging in the zipper, running from simple stops to full key locks. These are pretty much limited to the #5 size, although I have seen some for the #10, they're really scarce. The # is the width of the closed zipper, in mm.

There's ambiguity over the definition of open and closed zippers. I'll start from continuous roll zipper, which is cut to length. If the entire thing is  to be separable, then the bottom end tags are the tongue and housing, which go over the teeth or replace them, otherwise it's a staple tag holding the engaged teeth closed. The top end will usually have a separate stop tab crimped over a tooth on each side, but if you're using a slider coming from each end, then it may be the same as a closed bottom end. Teeth outside the tags are usually cut away. Made-up zippers are simply this done for you, so it may be possible to remove the top tags and move them slightly lower, if you need to shorten a zipper that's too long.

YKK make the widest range available, including the different locking sliders. To go into this in greater depth, https://www.ykkfastening.com/products/zipper/

Edited by Rahere

What a great tutorial. Lot of work in that one. Nice tip about the 3 in 1 oil. Will defo do this.

Thank you.

Edited by Myz

Thank you, Bonnie! 

On 11/23/2009 at 8:25 PM, Johanna said:

I asked Bonnie to put together a tutorial of how to replace a zipper in a jacket, and she put this together to share with you. Bonnie lives in a cold state, and is friends with hundreds (thousands?) of bikers. If you have ever ridden a bike, you know how important your leathers are- and if your zipper breaks, well, you'll do anything to please the Zipper Queen, as it should be.

We all really appreciate the time you took to do this great zipper tutorial, and hope to see many more from you now. :)

Thanks, Bonnie!

~J

zipperqueenLW.pdf 576.67 kB · 4,088 downloads

zipperqueenLW.pdf 576.67 kB · 4,088 downloads

useful links, thank you

I didn't have any problem at all with the video . . . I just never have caught the knack of double sided tape . . . it's on me . . . inside. . . outside . . . paper won't come off . . . arrrrggghhhhhhh.

I use contact cement . . . put on with a plumber's brush . . . sometimes it takes two coats . . . one fills the pores then the other coat does the stickin' stuff.

Just the way I do it . . . not that it is any better . . . just how I learned.

May God bless,

Dwight

On 11/23/2009 at 7:25 PM, Johanna said:

Thanks, Bonnie!

~J

zipperqueenLW.pdf 576.67 kB · 4,094 downloads

zipperqueenLW.pdf 576.67 kB · 4,094 downloads

great job)