Nessmuk1

Need Overlock Serger Help

Bought a Yamata DCZ-503-D3 serger. Basically new, no wear at all. Need some help.

Anyone know where I can get a users and service manual for it? I don't even know what oil to put in it.

I want to run as compact of a motor as possible, and wondered what servo motor would fit the bill?

Interesting. Did not know that Yamaha built them but compare them to pictures of other machines until you find something that looks similar.

A 150/180W domestic motor will run them if you are not going to run it 8 hours per day

Ya-Ma-Ta, rhymes with Ta-Ma-Ta. Was new to me also. Been fixing and tuning my mothers half dozen sewing and 2 serger machines. Made me want one... Also found a lust for old 6 drawer treadle sewing cabinets, so going to mount my Pfaff 332 and the serger on two, and the Seiko on another, if I can.

The Yamata sergers are similar to older Juki's. I may have an old manual at work, I'll check tomorrow for you. The 503 is a single needle serger, designed to prevent frayed edges on fabric like cotton or nylon. Without the second needle, the single needle version isn't really suitable for a joining stitch except on light material not subjected to stress. If you want to use it to trim and clean a regular seam, you can run a lockstitch seam about 1/8" next to it for a strong seam. Parts should still be available. If I have a manual, I'll gladly scan it and make it available as a pdf.

Regards, Eric