Sign in to follow this  
BBVA

Hi All - Rivet & Snaps - Pick Your Brains

Hey Everyone!

Hope you're all well.

I'd love to pick some of your brains about a few things if you don't mind. I could really use the help and it would be greatly appreciated.

I've been hunting for two things that I haven't had much luck with, and hope you might be able to help. I have some order's coming up in late March, so these things have become more important as the clock is ticking.

First up is rivets. I'm not worried about cost. in your opinion, what is the best I can get and where? I use "best" as a blanket term, by which I basically mean the toughest and most reliable, solid, that also look good. I'd like to find some that don't have such a polished and shiny finish, but instead have a flatter, duller finish, though that's not the main priority, but if I got a lead on some like that, it would be icing on the cake. Same goes for buttons/snaps, multiple finish options are always good.

I've been hunting down these in the below 2 images. (apologies for the quick and dirty photos)

They're on my Filson field bag. They're insanely sturdy and feel really solid compared to say the double cap brass rivets i've used from Tandy. The base end is thick and flat, and the top is domed slightly. (Which I prefer vs double domed)

What do you guys think? Maybe some of you may know a supplier or two I can check out that I haven't found yet?

On another riveting note, I've been hand setting for years, and as much I like the fact that I've used only handtools for my work thus far, it's just not efficient anymore, and I need to up my rivet game so to speak. I've heard using an arbor press is a good way to go? What do those of you who have moved on from hand setting use? I don't have unlimited cash to spend on a riveter, whichever way I end up going, but I can afford say up to $300. I do have a studio, so space isn't an issue. Any recommendations? I will say it will be nice to rivet faster and a little more confidently! Hate it when I get a crooked rivet now and then, the whole piece is a dud!

5472443452_1f47b875c4_o.jpg

BOTTOM

5472443392_f0184bbbfd_o.jpg

Next up is buttons. Or snaps. Whichever you prefer to call them :)

Again, I've tried what Tandy has as far as the heavier duty post snaps for thicker leather. For quick mockup projects I've done, that I'm not selling, they're fine, but I've never felt 100% confident in them to be honest, and haven't found other sources for quality ones. I also am not a huge fan of the ring that rattles around the top half of them :) I'd like to find some suitable for thick leather, as well some for thinner oz. leathers and smaller projects. The small Tandy snaps/buttons are pretty worthless. Again, I'm not worried about cost on these, I'd just like to find some I can trust and that I can fully stand behind when selling them to a client.

Below is a photo of the one's used on Filson's bags. Though these may be overkill for thinner leather and small goods I make like wallets/card holders. I noticed the way they're attached seemed solid. One side of the "post" is bent one way, and the other side the opposite way, which looks like it would have a more solid set in the leather, versus the kind of "rolled down" way the Tandy post snaps are set.

Have any of you used these? Or anyone know of a few suppliers worth looking into? As well as options for the thinner leather pieces and smaller goods like wallets? Hate to have a nice wallet and the button is gigantic :)

On another note, like the rivets, I've always hand set my snaps. With bulk orders/production, I would also like to move away from hand setting every piece! Any recommendations? Same budget as a riveter as well. Unless I can find a reliable machine that does both, and does both well. Moving up from hobby to production has been a process, and this is one last step that's important I get right :) So thanks in advance for any help!

5472443298_beaab18530_o.jpg

I hope I described what I'm looking for well enough. If you need more info definitely let me know!

I really do appreciate any help on this.

All the best,

Bryan

Edited by Btbowie

You'll likely find everything you're looking for at Ohio Travel Bag, and since you apparently have a business that requirement is covered. Keep in mind that the Tandy merchandise is often ....'affordable' ....to appeal to crafters. I've been incredibly impressed with the quality of the snap sets from DOT. Even though I didn't get the 'pull the dot' sockets, they hold MUCH better than any of the Tandy snaps I bought.

I think the 'best' rivets in terms of strength are the copper burr rivets. They aren't as decorative, but dang if they don't hold. An arbor press can be purchased at Harbor Freight for an affordable amount, but throat depth might be the only issue. If you'll mostly be doing straps (like the pic) then it's no problem at all. The arbor press is a great little tool as it can transfer your hand strength into over a ton of pressure.

You'll likely find everything you're looking for at Ohio Travel Bag, and since you apparently have a business that requirement is covered. Keep in mind that the Tandy merchandise is often ....'affordable' ....to appeal to crafters. I've been incredibly impressed with the quality of the snap sets from DOT. Even though I didn't get the 'pull the dot' sockets, they hold MUCH better than any of the Tandy snaps I bought.

I think the 'best' rivets in terms of strength are the copper burr rivets. They aren't as decorative, but dang if they don't hold. An arbor press can be purchased at Harbor Freight for an affordable amount, but throat depth might be the only issue. If you'll mostly be doing straps (like the pic) then it's no problem at all. The arbor press is a great little tool as it can transfer your hand strength into over a ton of pressure.

Thanks for the info!

I've checked out Ohio and basically have chosen them as a supplier for the bulk of my work from now on, since they look like they should have most everything I need. They were on top of my list, but I thought I'd check to see if someone might know something I don't :) Never know!

I do understand Tandy is more of a crafters oriented business, and they serve their niche well, I've ordered from them when I've needed something quick, or was testing new designs and used cheap hardware for a mockup while nailing down a final design, since theres one close by.

It's funny you mentioned the copper burr rivets, that's what was using for a little while last year, but as aesthetics are more part for some of my new stuff, I had to stop. I'm convinced they'll hold through almost anything you could ever put them through! I've been curious about the DOT snaps, so it's good to hear some firsthand experience, I wasn't sure what to expect from them.

Edited by Btbowie

My last Ohio Travel Bag order didn't go so well. it looks like they changed something with their snaps too.

Their old snaps, the male end, the hole for the post was all the way at the base of the snap. The new ones, have this around the middle. Thus less of the back post folds over. Depending on the thickness of your leather, the snap might not be as secure and pull off easily.

Why is everyone's snaps so difficult?