Windrider30

Question For Those That Have Used Garment Leather

Ok Have a pattern for a hobble skirt, thinking about getting some garment leather and trying my hand at that, but what kind of thread is needed, would normal sewing thread work or is a waxed thread better..and by the way going to be hand stitching not using a sewing machine which might make things shall we say interesting. But so far all of my projects, from wallets, one underbust corset, and a man bag have all been done by hand, even the full corset that I used rivets all of it was done by hand no machines involved which is part of my marketing process.

There are no hard set rules, but in general using linen thread is not the best idea with garment leather. You could use 'ordinary' sewing machine thread, but it's better to use thread for hand sewing as it's slightly stronger (but not as thick as most linen threads).

Avoid saddle stitching, just use normal back stitching or similar techniques as when you sew garments. Use glover needles, hand sewing needles that have a sharp pointy triangular shape. Avoid both ordinary needles and saddle needles, no pricking irons as the holes will be too large. Basically, garment leather is soft and thin so you can sew it as any normal garment.

Good Luck.

ConradPark thanks for the advice especially about not to use the saddle stitch since that is honestly my favourite stitch to use as it is so damn strong!