ClayB

Latest from Peter Main

Last week, Peter Main became a member of our forum (finally, I can quit begging). He is leaving for Austrailia on Wednesday and hasn't yet had time to figure out how to post things here, so he asked me to post this for him. For any of you that haven't seen Peter's work, check out his website here

...here is a wedding album recently completed. The covers are 2-3oz leather with inverted lettering, borders and corners. There is thin foam padding between this leather and the heavy card boards. These boards have beveled edges to give it all a nice roll around the outside. The leather is turned on all edges in traditional bookbinding style, and meets with a goatskin lining on the inside. The hinging is made with two folds to enable the cover to lay flat when open. The pages (12 x 12") are held in place with three inter-screws...these have goatskin covered heads. The spine has a leather covering (which conceals the pages) that can expand if required. The covers and spine were sprayed and all the front detail was done by sable brush...with spirit dyes.Wedding_Album_08__PM_.jpg

post-12-1203946630_thumb.jpg

I would love to know where he finds such flawless leather. His stuff NEVER has even a mosquito bite on it. Don't I wish I could find that stuff.

Dave

David,

He gets leather from overseas. I think he told me Germany, but don't quote me.

Email him and ask, it never hurts to ask.

marlon

Last week, Peter Main became a member of our forum (finally, I can quit begging). He is leaving for Austrailia on Wednesday and hasn't yet had time to figure out how to post things here, so he asked me to post this for him. For any of you that haven't seen Peter's work, check out his website here

...here is a wedding album recently completed. The covers are 2-3oz leather with inverted lettering, borders and corners. There is thin foam padding between this leather and the heavy card boards. These boards have beveled edges to give it all a nice roll around the outside. The leather is turned on all edges in traditional bookbinding style, and meets with a goatskin lining on the inside. The hinging is made with two folds to enable the cover to lay flat when open. The pages (12 x 12") are held in place with three inter-screws...these have goatskin covered heads. The spine has a leather covering (which conceals the pages) that can expand if required. The covers and spine were sprayed and all the front detail was done by sable brush...with spirit dyes.Wedding_Album_08__PM_.jpg

Peter is ridiculous. He has an embossing class in April in Ft. Worth that I can't wait for! Does anyone know what font he uses or if that is his own personal lettering? Its driving me crazy!

Hey Kevin,

How goes it? I don't know what font he uses, but I just read a tip in Leather Crafters and Saddlers Journal by one of our members (Yaklady). She uses Edwardian Script and a large point font. It yields some nice scripting.

Are you coming back up for Peter's class? I can't wait. I already gave my check to the store. She said there were 5 signups already.

Marlon

Here is another one from Peter that just popped into my email. He said he'd figure out how to post himself when he gets back from his latest trip. These are crazy, I had to look twice to make sure they weren't just photos.

Hello,

...here are some inlays for boot tops. Both the Harley and Porshe are four inches wide (they should appear on your screen close to actual size) and are carved on 2-3oz leather. The blue surrounding these matches the color of the boot top and is there just in case the cut-out in the boot top leather is not precise. I will post the finished boots when they are completed.

Peter

Porshe_20n_20Harley_20__PM_.jpg

post-12-1203954705_thumb.jpg

Hey Kevin,

How goes it? I don't know what font he uses, but I just read a tip in Leather Crafters and Saddlers Journal by one of our members (Yaklady). She uses Edwardian Script and a large point font. It yields some nice scripting.

Are you coming back up for Peter's class? I can't wait. I already gave my check to the store. She said there were 5 signups already.

Marlon

Of course I'm going, sent the check today :) I think it was full the last time I checked but am not certain on that. I looked at the Edwardian....very nice, that is close enough for me hehe.

Clay,

When I saw those in my email, I swore they were photos of what he was planning to tool. My goodness this guy is good.

Glad you posted these in this forum to let others see.

Wouldn't ya just love to be an apprentice of this guy?

Marlon

Edited by Rawhide

Gorgeous work! What a talent. Looking forward to seeing more of his work. Does he ever teach in California?

I think he'll go just about anywhere. Class fees will probably vary, depending on class type and location. He lives in Houston, so that's where he would travel from.

Marlon

seriously thinking of crossing the pond!! AWESOME

Clay,

When I saw those in my email, I swore they were photos of what he was planning to tool. My goodness this guy is good.

Glad you posted these in this forum to let others see.

Wouldn't ya just love to be an apprentice of this guy?

Marlon

Yea, thats how I found out about the classes in Ft Worth. I emailed him and asked him about an apprenticeship. Sadly he doesn't :( but I tried! So I will settle for the occassional class when I can