rlpullman

What Is A Fair Price For Old Craftool Stamps

Does anyone have any idea what is a fair price, or value of the old Craftool leather stamps. I met an older gentleman at an art show a couple of weeks ago that said he had a bunch of old tools from his younger days. He no longer does any leather work, and asked if I would be interested in buying them. I told him I would drop by and take a look at them. I see these all the time on Ebay for around $12. Is that a fair price? If I take the entire lot, would the value per tool be less?

eBay is a bad guage for pricing on the older stamps. The tool whore weekend hobbiests / collectors bid those auctions up way too high. If the tools are the older USA made ones, then I would say $5 to $10 per would be a good deal for both of you. If you are buying a good number of stamps, the lower end of that range would be reasonable.

I must be super cheap to only buy at the $1.00 to $1.50 range, then...

Unless you need them they are not worth much. If you already have the tool do you need another? If you really want them, they are worth more.

I have hundreds of tools I have got this way, they just sit in the drawer.

I've been watching Ebay quite a bit the last few months, and here are my observations.

If the entire lot was put up on Ebay, he could expect to get around $3.00 - $4.00 per tool. I've seen tool lots go for as little as $2.00 per tool, and as much as $6.00 per tool. I don't have a distribution available but I estimate that 80-90% of the group lots will go between 3 and 4. This number seems to be the range where the ebay resellers will bid against each other, in order to get the lot and break it up for individual resale.

As for buying individual tools on Ebay there is a pretty wide variation depending upon the rarity of the tool and random luck. The common tools like 104/105, 407, 204, 888/889 are available in the $5-$8 range including shipping. These common tools were apparently available in the old beginners tool kits and the market is flooded with them.

The next class of tools were those bought by the professionals and the dedicated hobbyists. Some good examples are the 455, The acorn tools, and the figure carving tools. They can be bought in the range of 10-15 easily and occasionally a little cheaper.

Finally there are the rare tools that I don't know a whole lot about. These include the tear shaped pear shaders, crazy legs pattern, and many obscure mules feet. I've seen individual tools go into the mid 30s. Though typically these obscure tools can be purchased in the mid 20s when they are available. About these rare tools it is hard for me to judge if what I've seen it typical or not, it is typical now, but I have no idea if what we are really seeing is a couple of crazy rich people bidding against each other.

Reading through the previous responses it should become clear the answer is, what are they worth to you? If your buying to use then 5-10 is about right, maybe a bit more for the rare ones. If your collecting them then maybe paying a bit more would be OK. Remember that the tool number, especially concerning the older tools, is just a guide to what they may look like, an average if you will. I have 4 different c-431 from different time periods and each one looks quite different and I do use all 4. I also notice i never have the right size pear shader no matter how many diffnet ones I have.

I must have done really well over the years then, I average $1 or less for bulk purchases.

It just depends on what you two work out. I have had complete sets given to me when I was involved with a Scout troop, and teaching the merit badge. It all comes down to what are you willing to pay.

To answer your one question, yes, there is usually a discount if you buy the whole shebang.

What I would do is just talk with him a bit, and ask him what he is willing to sell them for, then work from there. Always have cash on you too.

I buy them for $1 and resell them at the flea market for $2 each.

I have seen the tools priced beyond the stars but with a bit of digging, learned that just some folks look at them as being solid gold and others down to reasonable prices.

Nick, I have never been fortunate enough to find any for a buck so you have done well.

I also have more than I would ever need and have contemplated selling all of my hand stamping tools as pounding is becoming difficult for me. Many of mine were purchased at prices I should not have paid but when you want something and only find one, you go for it.

I have always felt that the tools should, when being sold as used, be in the 5-10 range, a few less and a few even more.

Just something between buyer and seller, I suppose.

God Bless.

Ray

Thanks to all for your comments. I really don't need the tools, but I will take a look at them. If I am not interested I can at least give an honest opinion on the value, based on your comments..

Well I'm lucky in that I work the local flea market on the weekend. My buddy and I are the only leather guys there, so they usually find us and are willing

to sell them cheap. I'm not getting rich on it for sure at $2 resale. But it helps that Tandy is down the block selling them for $10 each.

One note, lots of time when you see "old" tools, many of them may have come from sets, those start with a "Z" and although the look old, they may not be old. "Z" marked tools are very low quality and should be avoided.

Chief

Well I'm lucky in that I work the local flea market on the weekend. My buddy and I are the only leather guys there, so they usually find us and are willing

to sell them cheap. I'm not getting rich on it for sure at $2 resale. But it helps that Tandy is down the block selling them for $10 each.

Heck, maybe you should drop me a line the next time you get a bunch, and I'll pay you more than $2 each for ones I don't have yet, plus the S&H. :head_hurts_kr:

I'm still looking for those under a buck stamps on Ebay, haven't spotted any yet. I'm really licking my chops about getting some of the rare numbers I don't have cheap.

I have seen very few for under a dollar but just this week i got 6 pre-63 craftools for like 2.71 a piece.

I have seen very few for under a dollar but just this week i got 6 pre-63 craftools for like 2.71 a piece.

That is an excellent deal. :thumbsup:

I've bought enough in the last 3 months that I seldom bid on group lots. Instead, I can usually be found with the other harlots and weekend warriors, on Sunday evenings bidding up the Pre 63 tools for Pro Leather Carvers. And when Hackbarth tools go up for auction, I'm usually lurking around making sure they go for at least 50% of new value.