Kyleather

Need Help With Dyeing First Project

Hey there guys and gals. I need some help on my first project. I am going to make a bracer, I know the pattern I'm going to tool into it and all that. My main problem is dyeing it, do I need to do anything special to the leather before I dye it? Does the leather need to be dry, cased, damp? Which dye is better to use, Fieblings or Eco Flo? I'm going to practice on a few pieces before I dye this project, but was just trying to get everything figured out before I start ordering dye and other supplies. If theres any links that could help me out I would appreciate it.

There is a lot of information on dying leather in the dying, antiquing, etc. section here on the forum. People have different opinions on what dyes are best. For solid color dying like on background areas, I usually use Fiebings dyes. For something I want to blend different colors on, I really like the way the Eco Flow dyes work. I've started using the Eco Flow for background areas too. A lot of people don't like them, the more I use them the more I do like them. I usually dye on dry leather but if it's a little damp, that's okay too. A lot of people will clean their leather with denatured alcohol or something similar before starting to dye but I've never felt the need to do that. I think you'll want to try different things and see what works best for you and it's always a good idea to practice on scrap before trying something new on a finished project.

Ask 10 different leather workers and you'll get 10 different answers. Dye, Antique, Fiebings, Eco Flo.... Pretty much it is just personal preference, and that can change from week to week. Do the same thing twice and sometimes that will look quite different due to their being different moisture content and/or pieces of leather from different hides.

Right now My favorite antique color is Saddle Tan -or- Fiebings dye is British Tan -or- I also just like the color of leather with Neatsfoot oil, Sun, and Bag Coat.

Also, I really like to just color my leather with antique - it comes out more even than dye if you don't have an air brush. ( just my humble opinion )

Suggestions

* Do an advanced search for Dye and/or Antique and you can read for days - lots to learn.

* Get some scraps and try dying on them, before you do your good piece.

* Try diluting the dye to start with...

Have fun - mistakes can be happy discoveries