I've been working with leather for about 2 years now and have never had this happen. I am making straps for a breast collar and after they have been died and treated, they are cracking when you bend them. I thought it was the particular hide I bought so made another strap from a different piece of leather and the same thing is happening. Straps are 3/4 inch wide, of 6 - 7 oz veg tan....they were cased so I could run a scribe line down each side. Holes were punched then they were died with a mixture of Fiebings Mahogany and Medium Brown, which was diluted with dye reducer. Edges were finished with edge coat and paraffin wax. Any suggestions, ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Avery

I'm new an this happened to me the other day when I was experimenting with a piece of scrap, the leather cracked like, taking a potato chip and trying to bend it. I dehydrated the leather, so you need to condition with oil.

Thanks....sounds like my problem exactly. Never had it happen before though so I'll pay better attention to treating my leather after casing.

New leather absolutely shouldn't be that dry. Is your shop very dry? In the winter up here, I run a humidifier.

And, I assume that you're wetting the leather at the fold before bending ...

I live in Oregon, so absolutely have no issues with a dry studio. Yes, I wet the leather before making a bend. I have applied some Black Rock Leather n Rich to the back sides and let it sit overnight...It has helped, but I agree, new leather shouldn't crack like this. I bought it from Tandy, but will go elsewhere in the future.

Seems that the Tandy leather is the issue. I got some 8/9 oz that I've had less than 3 months and is cracking when bent after dying. I oil after dying and condition after the finishes but it doesn't prevent all the cracks (does help significantly). I'll put a humidifier in my shop to see if it helps. Otherwise, when this stuff is gone I'm going elsewhere for leather as well.

Edited by cgleathercraft

At least now I don't think it's my fault this is happening. I've worked with leather using the same process for over two years and this is the first time I've ever had cracks. I originally thought it might be caused by using the Fribings Dye Reducer but now I'm pretty sure it is the Tandy leather. A very expensive education as well as delaying delivery of this order to my customer. I had to start all over...using a different leather in my shop which I don't have enough of. Guess I will order some veg tan from the Hide House, unless someone has a better suggestion for good quality leather. Thanks

Avery

I wouldn't blame Tandy leather because, the leather that cracked on me was from Weaver. I believe it is the use of too much alcohol dehydrating the leather.

Dan :cowboy:

American Leather Direct sells some outstanding leather! www.aleatherd.com

Their prices are very good and they are always running specials and sales. Just bought

some 9/10 oz double backs with finished grain for $120.

Tom

I wouldn't blame Tandy leather because, the leather that cracked on me was from Weaver. I believe it is the use of too much alcohol dehydrating the leather.

I used the Tandy Pro Waterstain and had a horrible time with cracking. keep making test pieces to find a good method of oiling and staining but none have came out 100% crack free yet.

I've been having a similar problem the last few months: I make belt accessory reproductions for a certain movie franchise, and have had a problem with my 5oz. pieces cracking at the bends. I use 2 coats of the tandy pro waterstain, a coat of ecoflo supersheen, then gum trag to seal the flesh side, and a soaked coat and buffed coat of conditioner. up until now I haven't had to water bend the creases before dye, but since its been happening suddenly i'm wondering if I need to change my process or add something else?