Sign in to follow this  
Sjm1027

pattern for an eye glass case

Looking for a pattern for an eye glass case, something with a pocket for a lens wipe and maybe a pen.

Looking for something different.

Thanks

Possibly modify a cigarette case with a lighter holder? Make the case part taller and skinnier and the lighter part a little bigger around to hold a little spray bottle and a wipe. Not sure about the pen part. Maybe on the other side sew on a loop for a pen.

Might also take apart an existing one to get the main pattern and then add on a molded pocket on the front for the bottle, wipe and pen.

As for patterns, I have not seen any like you describe.

Just my 2 copper pieces

Thanks, I will do just that!

If you want something like the four in the pic to modify your case, PM me I'll scan you the cutting pattern.

I made them slightly bigger so that I can put in two glasses, sun and reading glasses. 2 in 1.

B.

RAY_3_1_1.JPG

post-118-1189811187_thumb.jpg

Brandon- I would really love to see a pic of the carving in the above pic close up. I didn't know you did floral carving, but maybe I did. Didn't you once say Harry R. was an early teacher of yours? Somehow I have it stuck in my head that you did more fabrication than carving, guess I was wrong. I'd love to see some detail there.

SJM1027- for custom orders like that it is easiest to create your own pattern. Use some cheap fabric or a heavy paper bag from a store to make a pattern you like. It lets you see where your attachments and hardware needs to be before you start cutting your leather. To make a glasses case you just need to fold a piece of leather, with one stitch line. The glasses will slide in and out. Stich a half piece with it on one side for a pocket. Upgrade and sell the customer an attractive case that fits on his belt or with a shoulder strap and enough room for a camera. You are only limited by imagination.

Johanna

I just drew this one up . If you want 1/4" to stitch or glue, you'll need to add that all around. The tissue pocket placement assumes it is open on the top (closest to flap).

Hope this works

You can try. I think I'll carve one up when I get back home.

Edited by Regis

Brandon- I would really love to see a pic of the carving in the above pic close up. I didn't know you did floral carving, but maybe I did. Didn't you once say Harry R. was an early teacher of yours? Somehow I have it stuck in my head that you did more fabrication than carving, guess I was wrong. I'd love to see some detail there.

Johanna, I wish you didn't ask! Coz my carving hardly improves! Could be due to my 'never mind'

attitude. It's still a hobby. Here is a bigger pic of it.

Harry is my mentor! I would have given up if it's not for him! We hardly 'talk' now coz he told me on the phone that his computer ka-put, maybe he is pulling my legs. Now that Teresa is no more there, I'm totally cut off. He'd ask about me about a few weeks ago. My prayers to him!

Attached is a pic of him I did few years ago.

Shall send you an album but you'll have to sign-in.

B.

RAY_3_1_3_1.JPG

7d88.jpg

post-118-1189816523_thumb.jpg

post-118-1189816553_thumb.jpg

Nice work indeed... You have to be proud of that!

Steve

Yes your right, See the trouble is I work in electronics and in my job everything is regimented... everything has to be done per standards, you have a process and follow it... you make one that works through this process and anything you make using the process usually comes out correct.

I believe that is why I fell in love with tooling leather so quickly... no boundaries use your imagination... very nice feeling but you can't teach an old dog new tricks... I am working on training myself to relax, sit back, look things over and just have fun.

Johanna, thanks for reminding me to relax use my imagination. :thumbsup:

SJM1027- for custom orders like that it is easiest to create your own pattern. Use some cheap fabric or a heavy paper bag from a store to make a pattern you like. It lets you see where your attachments and hardware needs to be before you start cutting your leather. To make a glasses case you just need to fold a piece of leather, with one stitch line. The glasses will slide in and out. Stich a half piece with it on one side for a pocket. Upgrade and sell the customer an attractive case that fits on his belt or with a shoulder strap and enough room for a camera. You are only limited by imagination.

Johanna

Hey, B- bet Harry was proud to have you as a student. I really like the depth and texture of your floral carving. It looks very attractive.

Regis- I like the pattern I can see in the thumbnail, but it won't open up. I like those kind of glasses cases better than the slide kind, but I have to use heavy leather or the glasses get smashed in my purse.

Johanna

Brandon,

That is very fine work you do, it is clean and well done. Keep up doing what you're doing.

Ken

I just drew this one up . If you want 1/4" to stitch or glue, you'll need to add that all around. The tissue pocket placement assumes it is open on the top (closest to flap).

Hope this works

You can try. I think I'll carve one up when I get back home.

Still not working but thanks for trying!

One more time

Looks like this one is better.

Yes that worked fine, Thanks... I have it now

One more time

Looks like this one is better.

Don't know if you are still looking or if you have the book but, The art of making leather cases by stohlman volume one has one on pages 46 and 47. Looks very sturdy and will not easily colapse.

i made this for a lady one day. she wanted it for her dad to set on the night stand next to his bed to put his glasses in. it looks ok, but would have been much better looking with tooling. unfortunately, she wanted dirt cheap and wouldn't pay for tooling. after we had agreed on a price she tried to get me to add tooling for free. nice lady, but i had to tell her if all she wanted was cheap she needed to go to wal mart.

eyeglassholder.jpg

post-68-1196037241_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ross

Hay that's different, I like the idea... Thanks