Sign in to follow this  
SSmith

Wanting To Get Started...

Hello, I'm new, okay, very new here. I am a watch collector and really want to learn how to make my own watch straps. I don't know the best way to get started in working with leather and am hoping you all can point me in the right direction. Many questions like hand sewn, machine sewn? Grades of leather, thickness of leather? Probably a million others that aren't coming to mind yet :)

So that you all are aware, I've never worked with leather and understand that this will take time and lots of practice. Any help and/or suggestions you might have is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance...

Scott

Well, since you don't know where you want to go, I'd suggest taking a look at the videos here.

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/home/infoandservices/Leathercraft-Videos/Leathercraft-Videos.aspx

Now, if you want to start tooling your watch straps, the Tandy basic or deluxe kit will get you started. The deluxe has a couple of better quality items in it. But, I think the leather pieces in them are questionable, so if you go that route keep in mind that your troubles may be with the leather and not necessarily your skill (I purchased bags of scrap to work on pretty quick after I started).

Aside from those kits, I wouldn't really suggest any of the others they offer (stitching kit and stuff like that) because you'd be better off building the kit with only the parts you need.

Many people prefer hand sewn because it's a much stronger stitch, but that's not always an economical option when you consider time and stuff. I think it really boils down to what you're doing. For me, I would say a hand stitched watch band would be much better. At the top of that link you'll also see a link to the Leathercraft Library where you can find books on different subjects. Any of the Al Stohlman books are a great resource to have in any workshop. Also, remember to search the site here, both with the search box and browsing around the different categories. There is A LOT of information buried in these pages. And if all else fails, ask away :)

- Allen

I agree with Allen for the most part. I would add that you google "Tandyleather Coupon Code" for additional savings. I just placed an order a week or so ago and got $10 off (paid for shipping basically)

Finding buckles and the right watch band punch might be fun.

If you like black... I would side step all the issues some of us have had with black and start brewing your own Vinegaroon right away.

Edited by Sylvia

Actually, watch buckles aren't that hard to come by. Springfield Leather Co. sells a fair selection of watch buckles http://springfieldle...ory/7/85/Watch/ Ohio Travel Bag also carries watch hardware if you don't mind the $30.00 order minimum.

Watch bands do not need to be that thick. For watch bands, you could work off the tooling leather scrap bags for awhile I think. Most of the pieces you get should be more then long enough, and you could always laminate two pieces of leather if you want a thicker band.

Edited by Glendon

Watch bands do not need to be that thick. For watch bands, you could work off the tooling leather scrap bags for awhile I think. Most of the pieces you get should be more then long enough, and you could always laminate two pieces of leather if you want a thicker band.

Most of the stuff I get out of those is pretty thick, especially from Zack White. Usually it's 8-9 oz and I use it for all my bracelets. Springfield actually splits the difference. Bunch of 8-9, some 5-7, and some light liners all in the same bag.

Well, since you don't know where you want to go, I'd suggest taking a look at the videos here.

http://www.tandyleat...aft-Videos.aspx

Now, if you want to start tooling your watch straps, the Tandy basic or deluxe kit will get you started. The deluxe has a couple of better quality items in it. But, I think the leather pieces in them are questionable, so if you go that route keep in mind that your troubles may be with the leather and not necessarily your skill (I purchased bags of scrap to work on pretty quick after I started).

Aside from those kits, I wouldn't really suggest any of the others they offer (stitching kit and stuff like that) because you'd be better off building the kit with only the parts you need.

Many people prefer hand sewn because it's a much stronger stitch, but that's not always an economical option when you consider time and stuff. I think it really boils down to what you're doing. For me, I would say a hand stitched watch band would be much better. At the top of that link you'll also see a link to the Leathercraft Library where you can find books on different subjects. Any of the Al Stohlman books are a great resource to have in any workshop. Also, remember to search the site here, both with the search box and browsing around the different categories. There is A LOT of information buried in these pages. And if all else fails, ask away :)

- Allen

I agree with Allen for the most part. I would add that you google "Tandyleather Coupon Code" for additional savings. I just placed an order a week or so ago and got $10 off (paid for shipping basically)

Finding buckles and the right watch band punch might be fun.

If you like black... I would side step all the issues some of us have had with black and start brewing your own Vinegaroon right away.

Actually, watch buckles aren't that hard to come by. Springfield Leather Co. sells a fair selection of watch buckles http://springfieldle...ory/7/85/Watch/ Ohio Travel Bag also carries watch hardware if you don't mind the $30.00 order minimum.

Most of the stuff I get out of those is pretty thick, especially from Zack White. Usually it's 8-9 oz and I use it for all my bracelets. Springfield actually splits the difference. Bunch of 8-9, some 5-7, and some light liners all in the same bag.

Thank you all... You've given me some things to think about... I'll dig a lot deeper throughout the site. I'm pretty excited. Looking forward to my first project... Thanks again everyone!

I second Springfield Leather, as well as the idea of you getting the bundle. I have also ordering their bundles before and I've gotten a nice variety every time. You'll have your material for your watch bands and after the leather bug has you by the throat:spoton: You'll already have leather for other tooling projects!!!

Tom

Oh, another quick tip. When you're looking at buying your first tools, buy a digital caliper. You can pick up a cheap one for $10 - $12. I found that when I started that I did not know what thicknesses I wanted to use. Buy the scrap bag first and then get an exact thickness of the pieces with the caliper as you play with them, you'll know the weight of leather you want the next time you're ready to order.