Steve W

Center Presser Foot Groover

Hi all, just received my new Cobra 4 machine. I love Christmas in August and I love the Cobra! As I work through skill building and getting familiar with the machine, I noticed that the groover "fin" on the bottom of the center presser foot leaves a mark at the beginning of each stitch run. While I like the groover concept, I don't care for that groover mark. It seems like I would rather manually cut my own groove channel, just as I always have when and stitching. Has anybody else had the impulse to file the groover fin off of your presser feet?

I've attached a pic of the groover marks at the beginning of each stitch line.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Seattle, WA

post-22257-0-09208600-1377740872_thumb.j

Edited by Steve W

Just take it off i did it is not necessary anyway IMO

Hi, I too use the center grover foot, and for a reason. It does what its intended to do, set the stitches deep (make a groove for the thread). If you do not like it use the center harness foot instead. By the way, the center harness foot is constructed a bit to wide , where it attach to the foot bar. It to big to allow the double harness foot, but it can be modified. Not all of the available clone pressers are made with 100% accuracy, I have bought from different brands. They all look the same, but some are made better than others, the Cobra pressers are the best I have for the 441 so far. I now have all available attachments for this machine except for the holster plate.

The setup that works best and leaves the best result (in my opinion) is: A standard needle plate with the groves polished off (with a buffing wheel) with a smooth feed dog. Feed dog height: 1 to maximum 1,2 mm over the needle plate (original height is 2 mm. and it pushes the reins off the plate at that height), a grover center and the harness presser foot.

I tried out the slotted plate, it leaves exactly the same markings underneath the leather as the above mention setup. Minimal push-out marks from the needle only. Moreover, it does not feed or climb as good . The slotted needle plate is indented for harness and reins, lovering the feed dog will give you the same result and feed much better. Just my opinions, it may come in handy when figuring out what accessories to buy (if you cannot afford them all, they are not cheap)

Good luck

Tor

Hi all, just received my new Cobra 4 machine. I love Christmas in August and I love the Cobra! As I work through skill building and getting familiar with the machine, I noticed that the groover "fin" on the bottom of the center presser foot leaves a mark at the beginning of each stitch run. While I like the groover concept, I don't care for that groover mark. It seems like I would rather manually cut my own groove channel, just as I always have when and stitching. Has anybody else had the impulse to file the groover fin off of your presser feet?

I've attached a pic of the groover marks at the beginning of each stitch line.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Seattle, WA

Start with reversing two stitches and sew back over them, then the problem is gone with the wind.

Have fun with your new toy (read tool).

Tor

I can stitch a 3/4'' circle with no trouble at all, without the groove nub, and cannot with it ,that thing just rips the leather all to H--l the 2 reversing stitches wont work because the nub is behind the stitch hole. All said i am new at this sewing thing ,but without the nub it works great !!! just MHO. now fahgetaboutit and grind that b---h off and have some fun with that cobra WOW What a machine ha.

Edited by Samalan

Nice! Thanks all, for the replies. The groover is gone. Now there is the faintest depression where the foot presses, but not objectionably so. I'm thinking about getting a pair of left and right side pressers and having a metalworker friend add some thickness on the pressing face to help spread the load when not stitching next to a zipper. I get marks with the narrow foot on soft leather, even with the minimum-est of presser foot tension. Thoughts anybody?

Cheers,

Steve

Oh yeah, Tor, you can see in my photo that I started both stitch lines with a 2-stitch backstitch (say that fast ten times...)

~Steve

Doh! Was just reading Cobra Steve's 441 machine tips, I forgot about the banana slide adjustment. That might help my side presser foot marking issue.

~Sw

the Cobra rocks!