Sign in to follow this  
rawhider

Prepping Rawhide - Hair On

I have a couple hides that I didn't have time to soak and slip the hair, so I fleshed them and let them dry with the hair on. Now I'm getting ready to use them and I need to get the hair off. I'm thinking of getting a sharp blade (like a planer blade) and laying the hide over a fleshing beam and just start scraping hair off. Anyone got other ideas?

Just lay them over a barrel or something round and start scraping with a large rounded blade. Try not to move sideways and score the top grain. If the hair is long take clippers and shear it down as close as possible. You could resoak in a water trough and then put in mix to let the hair slip. Brad

I just bought the Video staring Brian Neubert and he shows how he takes his hides, stretches them out to dry with hair on just like what you are talking about. Just as someone else mentioned put it on something round and take a tool with that same shape and scrape the hair off don't cut it off. Hold the tool up right with your hand on top, rather then holding at an angle and pushing. Him being a pro gets the job don't in about 3 hours. Not sure when the video was made but had some good info in it.

I used the sodium sulfide method on the last three hides I did, the last one i did green but the two before that I had let cure with the hair on, I found if you do use the sodium sulfide after the hide has dried, make sure the hide is super saturated, and not just a little wet.