Sign in to follow this  
Guest DaveB

Apprenticeship/info wanted (hope asking isn't too naive?)

Guest DaveB

Hi there all you leather enthusiasts! I realize that in "this economy" my request may be a little far-fetched, however, I need to satisfy my curiosity. I have a background in clothing design and construction as well as art and art-making. I currently work at a high end clothing store in Boston, but i am thirsty for some real doing, not selling. I have been interested in leatherwork for some time now, and deal with selling very high-grade world-class leather products in the shop I work at. I am looking for any information on how to obtain a position as a leather working apprentice or intern (any type is appealing to me). I don't know of any schools/courses/classes/businesses that offer a lot of training in the field. I'm willing to start at the bottom in order to learn all I can. Any information on how to get started or programs that would connect me to artisans in the field would be great! I'd be really excited to get information on environmentally conscious leather processes also. Thank you all much for your time! -Dave