Sign in to follow this  
TimKleffner

Black spots on leather

Greetings All

I'm making up small one piece knife belt scabbards. I soak the leather briefly, shape the leather then put the piece into the clamps and let dry.

I find that next day, I see black spots on the leather. . What I'm going to do is 2 tablespoons of bleach in a gallon of water.

Any one out there have any less aggressive methods to control the mildew?

p.s. the weather has been rainy and high levels of humidity.

Thanks for the help

Tim

Edited by TimKleffner

Tim,

Replied elsewhere too, but I think it is iron spotting to come on that fast. Try oxalic acid or lemon juice and see if that makes them go away.

If it is mold, I am biased here, but the listerine in certain casing mix is there to prevent mold. I have also used ProCarve and eliminated a mold problem in my old shop. The ProCarve has an antifungal too.

What is your water supply? City or Well? If you have a well have your water checked for mineral content. Bruce could be right about the iron if its coming from your water. If you have high iron in your water you could get a water purifier filter to use for your leather casing.

I'm with Bruce, doesn't sound like mold, it sounds more like spots from being exposed to iron, is it the clamps you referred to ? sometimes I've had leather pick up filings on a benchtop, if you've filed, sharpened, drilled or something like that in your shop it seems enevitable around here I'll find them with a peice of leather. Leather picks them up when it's dry just by laying it down in the wrong place , then when the water hits them they'll begin to rust overnite. Much like you described these spots appearing overnight after you soak the leather, the iron particles are already there the water just activates the rust. After you soak your leather and put it in the clamps a good dose of oxolic water last thing before you leave it to dry has helped me clean up my act, not a gaurantee but it helps.

What is your water supply? City or Well? If you have a well have your water checked for mineral content. Bruce could be right about the iron if its coming from your water. If you have high iron in your water you could get a water purifier filter to use for your leather casing.

Even where you get the water makes a difference. The closest hose bib outside my shop freckles up my leather. I am sure it is from rust in that pipe and faucet. I have to bucket water from the kitchen to fill my drowning tub. Water from there hasn't freckled.

Thanks everyone

I've been using city water. I recently replaced all of my old galvanized piping and plumbed in Cpvc and copper. I guess I'll just go back to distilled water PLUS Listerine. If the black spots continue, I guess I'll just have to do some heavy house cleaning here in the shop and wipe everything down.

The knife sheathes went to the gun show this weekend... no one complained, but , bought what was there.

May be to much about nothing !

Thanks for you time

Happy tooling

Tim

Edited by TimKleffner