Diane B

Cutting Leather

has anyone tried cutting leather with a plotter?

very innovative thinking.

Its highly unlikely that you would be able to do this with even the thinnest leather. Now I am thinking of something designed for vinyl lettering or even a conversion from an old printer.

But the knives made for these are using the weight of the blade to cut through much thinner material. It is also moved by bands that could skip if too much force is applied to them. There may be something like that made on a more industrial scale.

This could be your million dollar idea.

Brian

What may I ask is a Plotter?

has anyone tried cutting leather with a plotter?

I don't think it would be strong enough as you need something with adjustable pressure for the knife you can trace designs onto veg tan leather with them though.

very innovative thinking.

Its highly unlikely that you would be able to do this with even the thinnest leather. Now I am thinking of something designed for vinyl lettering or even a conversion from an old printer.

But the knives made for these are using the weight of the blade to cut through much thinner material. It is also moved by bands that could skip if too much force is applied to them. There may be something like that made on a more industrial scale.

This could be your million dollar idea.

Brian

I've used a Klick N Kut (it's used for scrapbooking and vinyl) to cut thin leather 1 -1.5mm If you want to check it out it www.knkusa.com. I've got the 15" version I mostly use it for tracing designs though, they are also coming out with a flatbed model but I believe it's going to be at least a few thousand but it will cut thicker materials. There are also industrial machines for this many $'s though they use them for cutting automotive stuff and for shoes, google flatbed leather cutting and you will see them Gerber is one of the main brands.

A plotter is what architects used to use for drawing out large plans before wide format inkjet printers became popular if you google flatbed plotter it will show you what they are, some places still use them.

Hope this is of some help to everyone

Cheers,

Clair

a plotter is used to cut designs for auto graphics. with a computer it makes vinyl stickers any size or shape.

Edited by Diane B

a plotter is used to cut designs for auto graphics. with a computer it makes vinyl stickers any size or shape.

Now I know what it is .Thanks.I learned something new today.

I know them as vinyl cutters, plotters were always used with pen and paper in Oz..

I've cut very thin pigskin on a Silhouette SD with multiple passes. Leather was stabilized by adhering to a piece of paper first. Worked ok, but it was more trouble than worth I think.

There are some people who use laser engravers to cut out their designs in leather. I can think of a few sellers around the web that use them.

There are some people who use laser engravers to cut out their designs in leather. I can think of a few sellers around the web that use them.