Hello everybody. I have a dye question...

I made a business card holder for my brother and dyed it black, front and back. I don't know what I was thinking! My question is, will the back side dry out eventually, or is there a way to finish the back side? Or will the black dye constantly rub off? OR...should I just scrap it and start over.

Thanks,

Alex

I have dyed the back of several items I have made... one of them being a collar that I made for the girlfriend of a good friend... she wears it while belly dancing and she works up a good sweat while dancing... I have asked her several times if she had dye bleed out onto her neck, and she has yet to tell me yes... As for the back.. (and I might be wrong here so anyone who sees that I am, chime in) using a conditioner will prevent it from drying... Also... this is spirit dye, not Cova Color paint? If it is the pro dye, then you can just apply some oil ( I like neetsfoot oil myself) through the black on the back and it will help the holder from drying out and it shoud not come off through to the cards as long as you dont saturate the leather with it, apply the oil and let it soak in, apply it again, and you should see it soaking in slower, and once more if you want, and thats it... I apply my neetsfoot with a dobber, and apply it evenly in about three coats...

Hope this helps you

Mike

Edited by wolvenstien

You can also apply Gum Tragacanth to the flesh side and slick it for a professional appearance that won't allow any dye rub-off...

You're not "supposed" to do this, but Fiebing's Leather Balm with Atom Wax works GREAT on the flesh side to both seal and smooth. I use it on the flesh side of saddle fenders--works great, and it's against the "rules."

Try it on a scrap piece. It's good stuff. :beer:

Thank you very much for all your suggestions! Very helpful!!

Alex