Sign in to follow this  
PaulP

Al Stohlman Brand /

The Tandy store has the Al Stohlman brand leather handle swivel knife on sale for about a $80.00. They normally sell for $129.99.

Does anyone know anything good or bad about these knives? I'm thinking of buying one because on the sale price. Seems like a great deal.

Will this knive take any and all standard swivel kife blades including the ceramic ones?

Thanks,

Paul

Hi Paul,

It is a nice knife, however it has a 5/8 inch bbl which is a little big for some (especially tight work). It is also right about (even with discount) at the price of a Henley. You really need to try them out though as they are different for everyone. Henley also makes great blades.

Art

The Tandy store has the Al Stohlman brand leather handle swivel knife on sale for about a $80.00. They normally sell for $129.99.

Does anyone know anything good or bad about these knives? I'm thinking of buying one because on the sale price. Seems like a great deal.

Will this knive take any and all standard swivel kife blades including the ceramic ones?

Thanks,

Paul

I love mine, I have two, wouldn't use anything else. The larger barrel is perfect for me.

Dave

I would suggest you actually find someone that has that swivel knife and try it out before you buy. I have one of Robert Beards swivel knives. the BEST i've used..but before I got that one I went though several different ones. I realize everyone no matter the level of work they are doing, business or hobby is on a buget, But I truely believe the when it comes to tools...you get what you pay for.

Edited by YRsaddles

I bought on e and sent it back the next day. It's "purdy" but the barrel was too big for the finer work I like to do.The blades fit but I'm use to a 3/8 barrel so this was a HUGE hunk of leather to turn. I didn't like the feel of the leather either.

I have since bought 2 MAGNUM knives from Hidecrafter(the skinny black ones in the catalog) and love the way that I can do really tight curves.

The blade is a Henly-1/4" angled. I bought the knife too. Glad I did. My ceramic blades don't fit. Just as well- the Henly is a LEXUS,cadillac, etc.

GREAT knife and a much better buy than buying just the blade.

pete

I have two, and I really like them, I got each one for about 65 bucks, (I used the half off one item coupon), however I plan on buying a Henley, and a Beard as well. I have heard so much good talk about these that I have to try them. The ASB do fit the ceramic blades. At least mine does.

Marlon

As always, a lot of great information. It's a shame the ceramic blades don't fit.

Thanks,

Paul

While we're on the subject: I've heard a lot of talk about Henly blades and would like to get one........but how?? I can't find a website or phone number or anything. If somebody could add some contact info I would appreciate it.

Marlon also gave away a good idea.....right now TLF has a 50% off one item coupon that is good on sale items too. So you can get it for 40!!!

Timbo

While we're on the subject: I've heard a lot of talk about Henly blades and would like to get one........but how?? I can't find a website or phone number or anything. If somebody could add some contact info I would appreciate it.

Marlon also gave away a good idea.....right now TLF has a 50% off one item coupon that is good on sale items too. So you can get it for 40!!!

Timbo

Well, not really, it's 50% off one item, but retail price. So if it's on sale for 80, and retail is 130, It will still cost 65. Still not bad, but not as good as 40.

Henley Manufacturing (they don't have a website)

4229 Pro St

Shreveport, LA 71109

(318) 631-3545

extremeall@aol.com

Ask for Louis

The reason I didn't post that gtwister is because it's a bit out of date.

The Swivel knife with a blade price is now $89 & change. I don't remember off the top of my head what the rest of the new prices are, but they are higher.

Marlon

The reason I didn't post that gtwister is because it's a bit out of date.

The Swivel knife with a blade price is now $89 & change. I don't remember off the top of my head what the rest of the new prices are, but they are higher.

Marlon

Fair enough but it shows people what options they carry for the barrels and blades.

Regards,

Ben

gtwister,

How do you like those Henley's? Is it worth the 90 bucks for a knife & blade? What size barrel & blade do you have?

Thanks,

Marlon

gtwister,

How do you like those Henley's? Is it worth the 90 bucks for a knife & blade? What size barrel & blade do you have?

Thanks,

Marlon

Marlon,

I like them a lot. In fact Bob Dellis first turned me on to their blades. Bob liked wide straight blades. I have never liked them much myself but he also told me that they were some of the best steel that he had ever carved with so I talked with them and found out that they had 1/4" and 3/8" blades. Well the rest was history. I have tried Bob Beard's and Chuck Smith's as well. I have lent my Bob Beard knife and blade out to a person that is just starting.

As far as barrels.....both barrels are 3/8" fine knurl 1.5" long. The blades that I purchased with them were a 1/4" angle fine detail thin (5/64" thick) and a 3/8" straight thin blade. I also bought a 1/16" beader blade. I pulled the 1/4" angle fine detail thin and started using the Peter Mina modified Henley for thinner material. I liked the Peter Main one better (it seemed to open the cut of the lighter leather up more).

If you PM me offline I can put you in contact with someone that usually buys a large lot and get's a discount each year. That is how I bought mine (quite a bit of savings that way).

Regards,

Ben

Edited by gtwister09

Well, not really, it's 50% off one item, but retail price. So if it's on sale for 80, and retail is 130, It will still cost 65. Still not bad, but not as good as 40.

Henley Manufacturing (they don't have a website)

4229 Pro St

Shreveport, LA 71109

(318) 631-3545

extremeall@aol.com

Ask for Louis

Don't tell the girl that rang me up last time at the local TLF that..........cause she obviously didn't know about that rule!!

Tim

Thanks for all the replies;

That 50% off on any one item at Tandy was too good to resist. I bought the Al Stohlman Brand leather handled swivel knife with blade for $65.00 and tax.

Thanks,

Paul