Sign in to follow this  
NoahL

My 2nd and 3rd Sheaths

...and then I saw that Raga came over here and posted tongue.gif. Raga has some GREAT stuff that I've seen on several blade-related forums, so posting right after seeing his thread is a bit daunting.

Aaaanyway, here are my 2nd and 3rd sheaths ever! I definitely learned a few things, and I have three more sheaths to make soon, so hopefully those look better than these do. Both are made of 7-9oz horsehide, dyed with vinegaroon, and stitched with hemp thread. I DEFINITELY need some boning tools, because all those lovey marks are from using the handle of a butter knife (the closest thing to a boning tool I have).

This one I treated with Leather Balm w/ Atom Wax and a spray-on leather waterproofer, and water beads off of it, so I suppose that works (it doesn't have that bluish tint to it anymore, though, so I probably should have taken another picture):

34fhfl4.jpg

I went a bit overboard with the finishing on this one, to be honest--EVOO, Leather Balm, Sno-Seal, AND the spray-on leather waterproofer--but it looks pretty good and water can't touch it (this was taken before buffing, which was probably stupid of me, since it's nice and shiny now):

b8u43.jpg

Thanks for looking!

~Noah

Edited by NoahL