JLeigh

New Newb From Western Wa!

Hello Leatherworker(s)! I am new to leatherworking and to this forum. I recently became interested in working with leather because I wanted a wallet style phone case but didn't see any in retail that I liked and I started to think to my self, "self, i can make what i want!" Having a background in knitting, sewing, and quilting this seemed pretty likely. After some research I realized what a wonderful skill this would be for collaborating with my husband, he makes chain maille accessories geared toward bikers and rock bands. So, that's a bit about me :) This forum has been a great resource in the two days since I've found it. Thank you all for being so open with your craft. Can't wait to hit up the local leather shop tomorrow for a few needed supplies!

Sorry for the duplicate post, dunno why it did that :/

Welcome to the show. Is this similar to what you are looking to make?

post-21759-0-27391900-1421825019_thumb.jpost-21759-0-40570800-1421825013_thumb.jpost-21759-0-36076900-1421825016_thumb.j

Welcome to the show. Is this similar to what you are looking to make?

attachicon.gif20141208_161556.jpgattachicon.gif20141208_132401.jpgattachicon.gif20141208_132421.jpg

NV, thanks for the welcome. Once I get some practice done that is pretty much what I'm thinking! Though with a few more bells and whistles. I'd like a loop to hold a pen/stylus and I'd like to figure out some sort of stand. Did you rivet a snap-on case to that? I appreciate the cut out on the back for the camera, that is something I definitely want to incorporate! Thank you for sharing pictures of your work Edited by JLeigh

JLeigh, welcome to the forums. Look forward to seeing your first project. I don't know how familiar you are with leather suppliers in your area, thought I would mention besides Tandy which for you is going to be Shoreline or Tacoma/Parkland. There is also MacPehrsons Leather in Seattle .519 12th ave S off Yesler.

Edited by camano ridge

JLeigh, welcome to the forums. Look forward to seeing your first project. I don't know how familiar you are with leather suppliers in your area, thought I would mention besides Tandy which for you is going to be Shoreline or Tacoma/Parkland. There is also MacPehrsons Leather in Seattle .519 12th ave S off Yesler.

I mapped out the bus route to MacPherson's Leather Company last week :) Plan on heading up there this afternoon. I got a Tandy Leather Tooling kit for Christmas and worked on some of the practice pieces, but soon realized there was not nearly enough vegtan in there for actual practice so I'm hoping to find some scrap. I also found the monthly make a project thread here, even though I'm coming in horribly late I'm going to get a few basic tools so I can work on that January Wallet. Working along on a monthly project seems like a great way to acquire the skills I will need to complete the growing list of projects in my head!

I will post pictures of the two practice tooling pieces I have so far after I've burnished the edges and used whatever topical treatment is in the Tandy kit. I am very curious to hear the critiques of all the experienced artisans on here.

If you get to your Tandy store (or any other store that actually carries leather, Hobby Lobby even) then you can purchase a bag of scrap that will work for practice and get it at a decent price. And to answer your question about the case on that phone wallet: yes, I did attach a snap on TPU case to the lining leather. I have a supplier in California for those TPU cases where I can get them for the more popular device models for a very good price. There is also an RFID blocking layer that has been added to this one as beginning this year all of the credit/debit cards that carry a logo on them are required to include the new (to us, carried it in Europe on every card I had over 20 years ago) RFID security chips. American Express has incorporated that technology for years and I just happen to have a business card with it so I included that for the new 2015 project line up.

You are starting down a path towards a craft that is a very long, but highly rewarding, journey and with it you can release your creativity and pretty much do whatever your mind can visualize. Get some practice in, solicit critique, and have fun with it.

Again, welcome to the world of leather.

Hi ! I am in W Wa too up near Smokey Point be great to meet someone close by and exchange ideas and things.! welcome !

Cheryl, Welcome to the forums. I am a little norht of you Camano Island. In Marysville all the time. If you need something quick there is Quilceda Leather on 88th. A little higher then Tandy but if you need just a couple of things it is cheaper then driving to Shoreline Tandy.

Hi I am just north of you . west of Marysville. newby too. thisischeryl@live.com if you want to chat sometime... I dabble in all kinds of stuff have not found what I like best in the leather work love it all.

Edited by this is cheryl

Hi, J. Welcome. I assume that by saying you mapped a route UP to macpherson that youre in s king county? One thing that some people underestimate is getting some supplies from Craigslist. Some people buy kits, tools, materials, then never get started so you can snag new stuff cheap...

Hello fellow Washingtonians.... Me too... but over near Port Townsend. I'm looking for a three legged stool kit (if anyone nearby would happen to still have one), or pattern to build my own, which means finding some heavy weight leather in a smaller piece than a half a cow. My mother made two of them years ago and has told me I can have the one that she still has but I want a couple more for use in my living quarters horse trailer... very small living quarters... that is, when I finish up the conversion I've started. <smile>