Had a request to build a couple of single point slings for a father & son who hunt with Marlin Saddle Ring Carbines. I was concerned about using swivel snaps on them because I figured even brass would mar the bluing on the receiver. He opted for nylon (plastic) swivel snaps from strapworks.com which really are the weak point of the whole system but are cheap enough at $1 each that they can be considered consumables and easily replaced. He wanted them in Fiebings light brown with aged brass hardware to cut down on glare. So after looking around and realizing no one makes aged brass chicago screws I set about trying a couple of different methods of aging them. I settled on a recipe using vinegar and salt and then heated the screws in a 400 degree oven and dropped them in the solution. About a week later I had 4 Chicago screws with a nice greenish patina (the patina doesn't show up too well in the pictures though). I don't own a saddle ring carbine so I had to use a couple of zip ties on my rifle to mimic the SR carbine, it works but mine sits a bit lower than theirs will. I used a double keeper system on the strap to keep it from flopping around, one is attached at the buckle and one slides on the strap and just slides down over the loose end. The system is comfortable, the rifle is easily accessible and quick to shoulder. I was skeptical of the whole idea at first but after building it I would definitely consider one if I owned a saddle ring carbine.

On%20body%20Front_zpsuwcpcsdn.jpg

Clip_zpsg3ggukci.jpg

Muzzle%201_zpshiy8vuw4.jpg

I won't bore you guys with pics of both slings since they're identical, I'll just give you the best pictures I have, it'll be a mixture of pics from both slings.

Buckle%20Sling%202_zpsoewe5xxq.jpg

sling%201_zpsl6xivbdm.jpg

swivel%20snap%20sling%202_zpsef4tc6pu.jp

I could have spent a little more time burnishing but honestly it felt like my hands were going to fall off about 1/2 way through the burnishing. I really need to make that clamp with the bed rails if I'm going to be doing any more of these.

Stu

Hey, . . . they're great if you ask me.

I've got a 10+ pound hunting rifle, . . . scope, . . . bipod, . . . and a single point on the left side of the receiver at the rear.

Left hand controls the weapon all by itself (with help from the sling) leaving the right hand for other important duties: binocular, sandwich, coffee, door handle, tree branch, cookie, . . . whatever.

But unlike your system, . . . my barrel is at least tipped up all the time, . . . not hanging down to get stuffed into the Ohio clay.

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

Really nice

Thank you.

Hey, . . . they're great if you ask me.

I've got a 10+ pound hunting rifle, . . . scope, . . . bipod, . . . and a single point on the left side of the receiver at the rear.

Left hand controls the weapon all by itself (with help from the sling) leaving the right hand for other important duties: binocular, sandwich, coffee, door handle, tree branch, cookie, . . . whatever.

But unlike your system, . . . my barrel is at least tipped up all the time, . . . not hanging down to get stuffed into the Ohio clay.

May God bless,

Dwight

That's a good point, I was concerned about the muzzles going in the dirt also but since their rifles are true carbines, the barrels are 2" shorter than mine. That combined with the fact that their rifles should sit a full 2"-2.5" higher than mine should keep the muzzles out of the dirt. Muzzle up would definitely be a better way to carry but since the Marlins are muzzle heavy and the saddle ring is at the rear of the receiver I have no idea how you'd accomplish that. Generally I think the idea is to carry the rifle in your hands and only let it hang when you need your hands for other things, these slings would excel for that since it would be very natural to drop your hand and bring the rifle to your shoulder and get on target. I'm not too crazy about having my foot/leg covered by the muzzle either.

Stu

Very nice