Sign in to follow this  
flyingcuda

Boot Stretching

how would I stretch cowboy boot shafts?

The most recent issue of the Leather Crafters and Saddlers Journal had an article on resizing cowboy boots, though I'm not sure it will help you with what your after. In that article the boot maker took them apart and made them smaller, I believe.

Bob

Hello Flyingcuda,

There are stretchers available that will stretch nearly everything, ie; vamp, toe, length, width, and, the shaft. I stretch just about everything as a side venture to my shoe shining project. The stretchers are quite expensive, for a good set, or you could simply by one stretcher and take a bit more time.

I would suggest a search for boot stretchers and really search around as the outfits selling the stretchers are not in a level playing field. Price swings are enormous and requires some effort. I use a liquid stretch product and would be happy to tell you where I purchased my stretchers, if I could remember. As they were a one time purchase item, I neglected to maintain any information from seller.

Some folks do not use stretchers but that is a personal preference thing.

Best of luck with the project.

God Bless.

Ray

I made a shaft stretcher from 2x4's. I cut two pieces and rounded one side to be the front and back. Ripped them so that they fit down in the shaft with a little room to spare and stuck out a bit when bottomed out, then made the pieces that would do the stretching. They are ripped from 2x4's so that their width, added to the two main pieces would be the new width desired. Then taper them about two inches from one end so that you can drive them down between the front and back with a hammer. Sanding the ripped faces will make it work easier. Hold a wooden block on the end of the stretcher piece to hammer on so you wont mangle the piece. If you want to stretch the tops a lot, you might use two progressively wider stretchers. Then use a stretching liquid or you might try soaking the shafts in hot water by hanging them over a bucket or sink so as not to wet the bottoms. Place the front and back of the stretcher all the way down and drive the middle piece in so you wont tear the shaft linings. Its a little work but as somebody before said, shaft stretchers are expensive.