Whit30

29-3 Problems

Hello All, I need some advice from you Singer 29 series experts. I am having a few issues with a 29-3 machine. First, When you lift the pressure foot lever the pressure foot does not rise because of a broken collar that mounts on the cross bar that connects to the pressure foot lever on the left side and to the adjustment screws on the right side. The first pict shows how it should look. Pict 2 shows what is happening. The brass like washer should be attached to the collar but it is broken. If I haven't described this well enough, please let me know.

The second issue, the pressure foot does not feed the leather. It goes through all of the right moves but it just will not feed the leather. I have a good idea it may be part of the first issue.

Last, has anyone ever figured out a way to avoid or minimize the marks the pressure foot makes on the leather? can a differant foot be used or anything?

If any of you know how I can fix this or know of someone that may have some of these machines that they are parting out that I may buy the collar please let me know. I'm shure this was discontinued long ago.

Thank you and I hope I was able to describe this well enough.

Thanks

I'm sorry, After posting this I should have put it in the Machine area. If anyone can tell me how to move it, i'd be glad to do so. Also I tried to reduce the size of the picts but It didn't work. I'll try and see what I did wrong.

Thanks

Pict1.JPG

pict2.JPG

post-14079-126861343031_thumb.jpg

post-14079-126861397286_thumb.jpg

Edited by Whit30

The second issue, the pressure foot does not feed the leather. It goes through all of the right moves but it just will not feed the leather. I have a good idea it may be part of the first issue.

Last, has anyone ever figured out a way to avoid or minimize the marks the pressure foot makes on the leather? can a differant foot be used or anything?

I can't speak to the foot lift problem, and I don't (yet) have a class 29 machine in front of me to check, but I'd bet its related to the feed problem.

I have read about people gluing a bit of vibram soling to the bottom of the foot to reduce the marking on leather.

If any of you know how I can fix this or know of someone that may have some of these machines that they are parting out that I may buy the collar please let me know. I'm shure this was discontinued long ago.

As far as I know Bob Kovar is the man when it comes to parts for these things.

I haven't ever used a 29-3, but I use a 29-4 almost everyday. I don't see anything in the pictures that should cause your problem unless that collar is holding everything up. On the 4 there is a thumb screw on top that controls the pressure on the leaf spring (not the wing nut in the picture, a round knurled one), which in turn controls the presser foot pressure. Sounds like this is causing the problem to me.

As far as leaving marks, I've used heat shrink tubing on the foot, I've wrapped it with masking tape, or you can just grind the serrations off, but of course this is what feeds your material. If I'm going through old holes, I remove most of the pressure and feed the work myself.

Hope that helps,

Kevin

It's hard to tell from the pic because when I click on them they are to big to get any detail,but it looks like the washer has come undone from the collar underneath,originally they were just peened over & maybe somebody worked on the machine in the past & didn't repeen good enough,I would push the lower part back into the upper part so it doesn't have any play but still turns around & just tack weld it in 4 spots.

They call these machine shoe patchers for a reason,that's what they were made for,BUT I know alot of people have done some fantastic sewing on them & as already mentioned,some tape,rubber or grind off the teeh will stop the marking but will also stop the feeding of the leather making you have to push it through.

It's hard to tell from the pic because when I click on them they are to big to get any detail,but it looks like the washer has come undone from the collar underneath,originally they were just peened over & maybe somebody worked on the machine in the past & didn't repeen good enough,I would push the lower part back into the upper part so it doesn't have any play but still turns around & just tack weld it in 4 spots.

They call these machine shoe patchers for a reason,that's what they were made for,BUT I know alot of people have done some fantastic sewing on them & as already mentioned,some tape,rubber or grind off the teeh will stop the marking but will also stop the feeding of the leather making you have to push it through.

A big thank you to everyone who responded! You all were a huge help. I appologize for the picts. I know what not to do next time. Bob, that is exactly what has happened. The washer has seperated from the collar. Do you or anyone happen to have a service or repair manual I could beg for or know where I can download one? I looked but didn't find what I was wanting. I need to see how to remove that section from the machine for repair. I can have that tack welded like you said i'm shure if I could have the cross bar off and cleaned up well. Bob, do you also feel this is the reason the walking foot isn't feeding the leather?

You mentioned pushing the leather if you removed the walking foot teeth. I have seen some machines that have a roller or wheel that holds the leather. I wonder if something like that would work? I guess you would have to use a stiching wheel or something to know where to stop and place each stich or you would have a real mess on your hands.

Thanks a million!

The best thing to do might be just take the head off the stand & take it in they'd be tack welding on the top,sure it all comes apart but you'll probably have less trouble in the log run.

The best thing to do might be just take the head off the stand & take it in they'd be tack welding on the top,sure it all comes apart but you'll probably have less trouble in the log run.

I'll do just that Bob, Thanks for all of your help! One last question. Can you tell me what size screw/thumb screw is needed to lock the feeding foot in place? Thanks again.

It's a 9/64-40 that you'll have to get from a sewing machine place.

Bob