Roger J

Could This White Coating Part Of Tanning Process?

I was going through what was supposed to be a veg tan scrap bin when I found a few interesting/odd pieces. The young lady that was there couldn't tell me anything about them.

The flesh side appears to be coated with white "paint". It doesn't flake off, it isn't floury, and looking at the raw edge of the skin looks like it was part of the tanning process and not painted on.

Anyone have any clue as to what it could be?

It is slightly over 1/8" thick and fairly rigid.

Here are some pictures:

flesh side

post-44104-0-15704800-1383695283_thumb.j

skin side:

post-44104-0-05656900-1383695260_thumb.j

It looks like what I have heard called "mossed back" or "pasted back" leather. It is a coating that has been applied to the flesh side. I got a couple several years ago, The coating was a little sticky when it got wet, but then dried slick again.

Yeah, that looks like that stuff I saw on the back of some dbl shoulders at Tandy store I was in. Pastin down the 'fuzzies'??????

Thanks folks, now would "mossed" or "pasted" leather be OK to use to make sheaths and holsters? (i.e. could it cause corrosion like chrome leather?)

I'll add my weight behind what Bruce Johnson said. Some pasted backs can be what I call 'flinty' -- bloody hard. Almost ruined a stitch groover with some mystery veg-tan. Usually it's some sort of starch paste so I wouldn't have thought it would be corrosive but that's not to say I know for sure about yours.

I had some of that pasted stuff before. Personally, I'd never use it. One, the sample I had was horrible to tool. Most importantly though, every bit of moisture brought out one of the chemicals used to tan it - URINE!!!! I'm assuming it was a bad representative scrap piece, but it was enough to make me stay clear of it forever. I figure I'm better off buying good leather with a clean flesh side that hasn't been pasted down. I'll take care of cleaning that up on my own.

... every bit of moisture brought out one of the chemicals used to tan it - URINE!!!! ...

Yuck!

Luckily I just have a few pieces.

I'll soak a small piece and see what happens.

If worst comes to past, it can always be used to make vise/clamp pads for woodworking.