Sign in to follow this  
flathat4life

armitas

heres my twist to apair of armitas i built for myself a few months ago. they're the traditional step-ins but with a tooled belt that buckles in the back..i slawtered a couple pairs before getting my pattern right.. i should have hunted somebody down that had a good set and tried to get a pattern that way. that would have saved all the trial and air pair i wrecked but i gess thats how i learned... i particularly like the way the fring lays when im in the saddle.... i should have put a little curve to the top so they were a little more form fiting but with a couple trips true the canal and wearing them all day i got them feeling beter..i didn't oil everything and slick my edges before the pics(i should have done it before glueing and sewing but o well)...the tooling in my opinion isn't that great and the top belt kinda turned into a train wreck... i took them into a guy to have sewn and he tried to race thrue them in some spots so thats why the stitch isn't consistant..... there just a economy grade cowhide but its good for chink/armitas and sure like how crisp the fring cuts and looks when they are new... this kind of leather also turns used looking fast and slicks of on the front side which some guys like the look of...

a little ruff around the edges but only my 4th pair(including the ones i butchered)........................................... tell me what you think.

~thanks~

amitas_1.jpg armitas_2.jpg

armitas_3.jpg

armitas_5.jpg [atachment=19138:armitas_6.jpg]

armitas_4.jpg

armitas_6.jpg

post-8303-1230879898_thumb.jpg

post-8303-1230880026_thumb.jpg

post-8303-1230880253_thumb.jpg

post-8303-1230880359_thumb.jpg

post-8303-1230880454_thumb.jpg

post-8303-1230880544_thumb.jpg

Edited by flathat4life

Very nice and excellent stamping.

Flathat,

Your did a real good job. Your fringe looks excellent. How did you cut it? It has been my expeience to oil tooled parts before they are sewn on, and to seal them on both the front and back side with neat lack or tan coat. Other wise the oil can leach or bleed into the chap leather.

steve

Very nice work. Glad to see more people from Idaho.

Butch

Flathat,

Your did a real good job. Your fringe looks excellent. How did you cut it? It has been my expeience to oil tooled parts before they are sewn on, and to seal them on both the front and back side with neat lack or tan coat. Other wise the oil can leach or bleed into the chap leather.

steve

steve,

thanks for the complement.. i cut my fring with a utility knife.. mainly because you can always replace the blades to get a razor edge(this plays a big factor in how crisp the fring looks when its cut)..... i normally oil with 2-3 "light cotes" of netsfeet oil and finish with tan cote to get a natural shean back in the leather.... then i slick my edge with t-gum from tandys.. after tooling, while the leather is still moist i edge everythin and rub the edge with damp canvis (thats mainly where you get a good edge from ..the t-gum is just to smooth out little frys on the edge caused when oiling)... i was in a hury to get these pair finished and i cut some corners i shouldn't have (plus i was out of oil enyway) .. otherwise normally i do oil before sewing... (it definately pays to take your time and do the job right )...........

I'm still learning so just my two cents worth =)

i'm interest to see how other people do things.. maybe some of you guys can fill me in ..... im completely self taught so i'v always had to figure things to teach myself and come up ideas....... i mostly do that by studying good quality gear i like made by top saddle makers...... i can always see what i want my end product to look like but somtimes i have trouble geting it to that point...its nice to descover others ideas and process of doing things..

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

thanks for the complements and opinions guys.... keep it coming.....

jed

Great basket work, I really like the edging you did there.

Hey Do you think you could take a picture of your armitas with the fron flap lifted

Hey Do you think you could take a picture of your armitas with the fron flap lifted

sher... id be glad to..

when you say flap what do you mean?... im asuming that your meaning the area where the peices come around and lace into the leg plates right...

Jed

sher... id be glad to..

when you say flap what do you mean?... im asuming that your meaning the area where the peices come around and lace into the leg plates right...

Jed

or do you mean the front fring area

those are very nice, good tooling.

Great craftsmanship on those they are beautiful. No I do have a critique for you, that belt looks great but I would want something that would break easier if it got hung on my saddle horn if say I suddenly found my nice calm mare trying her best to look like a saddle bronc. They sure are nice looking though.

thanks guys.....

Jed

steve,

thanks for the complement.. i cut my fring with a utility knife.. mainly because you can always replace the blades to get a razor edge(this plays a big factor in how crisp the fring looks when its cut)..... i normally oil with 2-3 "light cotes" of netsfeet oil and finish with tan cote to get a natural shean back in the leather.... then i slick my edge with t-gum from tandys.. after tooling, while the leather is still moist i edge everythin and rub the edge with damp canvis (thats mainly where you get a good edge from ..the t-gum is just to smooth out little frys on the edge caused when oiling)... i was in a hury to get these pair finished and i cut some corners i shouldn't have (plus i was out of oil enyway) .. otherwise normally i do oil before sewing... (it definately pays to take your time and do the job right )...........

I'm still learning so just my two cents worth =)

i'm interest to see how other people do things.. maybe some of you guys can fill me in ..... im completely self taught so i'v always had to figure things to teach myself and come up ideas....... i mostly do that by studying good quality gear i like made by top saddle makers...... i can always see what i want my end product to look like but somtimes i have trouble geting it to that point...its nice to descover others ideas and process of doing things..

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

thanks for the complements and opinions guys.... keep it coming.....

jed

Hey Jed How long is that finge? and what weight of leather is that? Im looking to make a pair for the first time myself and the ones in the picture are exactly like what im shooting for minus the tooling and all of that. Thank you Godbless!

~Jeff