MorningStarL

Belt Clip On A Knife Sheath

I'm not having good luck using the search engine, and I'm sure the answer I want is in the Forum somewhere.

I make mostly knife sheaths, and I like a sewn on belt loop. Keeps metal away from the blade. The knifemaker just sold something to a guy who has a disability that prevents him wearing a belt. He's asked for a sheath with a metal clip. Since I don't like them, I've never done one. Is the answer to line the sheath? Which would mean two thinner layers of leather?

And is there a way to attach them firmly to the sheath? The ones we have here look like the slide through a slot.

What I'm thinking of is to cut two pieces of thinner leather than I'd usually use for a sheath,one for the lining; put the clip through the outside layer only; then contact cement both pieces together and go on stitching up the sides. The knife is a punch dagger, which will need a strap and Sam Brown stud (I don't like them either -- metal inside the sheath where it touches the knife blade). So I'd put that through the outer leather and secure it too, before lining.

If I'm messing up here, I'd like to know. I've seen someone with a belt clip that isn't metal and seems to be attached to the sheah with a non-metal rivet. I've asked him about what he's using, but I bet you guys are faster. Thanks in advance, and happy New Year!

Thats good question. I have made handcuff pouches in exactly the same manner as you describe and have had no negative feed back from the people that use them. I'm not a fan of clips either.

Also, sorry to be a downer but the knife known as the "punch knife or push knife" where the blade extends between the fingers and and the handle is sort of a T bar design or configuration is actually illegal in Canada, Sooo be careful!

post-57471-0-90439900-1452204777_thumb.j

I haven't done a knife sheath with a clip but I have done holsters with belt clips.

I just attach the clip to a separate piece of leather and attach it to the holster.

Just be sure to recess the stitches on the inside.

clipholster3_zpsvyexdpar.jpg

For a Sam Brown stud, same thing. Attached to a separate piece of leather and stitched on.

friction1_zpse6xlpa5z.jpg

Hi, Kiwican! I'm in Texas right now, and the customer's in California, so we're okay on the legality. One of my problems with the project is that I'm not a big fan of a knife that you can only use to stick in someone. Canadians, eh?

Snubbyfan, really nice work. I like clean leather, with visible stitching and little or no ornamentation. Yours is right up my alley. I'll try that if there's a next time. Right now I've got the pieces cut, two pieces of a lighter weight leather (not sure -- I usually use 9-10 ounce, and I inherited this), the Sam Brown stud in the outside of the front, and contact cement setting up on the front pieces. Got the strap for it cut. I'll anchor it to the inside of the back piece, and put the clip through the back and glue them. Stitch the top edge of the front, and later add the welt and put them all together.

There's still time to do it like you said. I know the flaw in my plan is going to be stitching around the clip when I have to anchor the strap in the back too. Your way will take care of that for me. Thanks!

I'll post pictures Monday.

It's done. Not my best nor my worst work ever. I was trying to make stitching holes late at night, in an unheated workshop with the taps dripping so pipes wouldn't freeze, and was going to have to re-set my awl, when the knifemaker suggested that just this once, I could drill the holes. I didn't want to. Even with all those other reasons -- but the customer had been crude and disrespectful, so I did it. Pictures tomorrow maybe, with the dye and everything on it, before it goes in the mail.

I was using thin leather, and the front and the back are two pieces each, flesh side joined together. The clip's mounted in a separate piece (thanks, Snubbyfan) and stitched to the back of the back; the strap for the stud is stitched into the front of the back. The stud's in the front of the front. I used 9-10oz for the welt, and left the top 1/2" or so unstitched. The knife has a big brass bolster and it needs room.

I got the edges burnished very sweetly and dyed it all with Fiebrings Black; then Resolene 50-50 with water, and a coat of neutral shoe polish. It goes in the mail tomorrow.

Thanks, everyone. You're making me better at what I'm doing. Sorry I don't know how to get the pictures in order.

post-58785-0-02885500-1452580442_thumb.j

post-58785-0-63932200-1452580446_thumb.j

post-58785-0-08294200-1452580451_thumb.j

post-58785-0-98107500-1452580455_thumb.j

post-58785-0-84707000-1452580462_thumb.j

post-58785-0-41462500-1452580466_thumb.j

Looking forward to the seeing the dye job!

The knifemaker was checking the pictures for me. It's hard to gauge colour depth and intensity on a laptop screen. He says, "The pictures of the sheath are not as good as the sheath."

For which, many thanks.

It's on its way now -- to Florida. I was wrong about which side of the continent it was going to. Thanks again, kiwican and snubbyfan.

post-58785-0-58201500-1452753362_thumb.j

post-58785-0-85503200-1452753376_thumb.j

post-58785-0-52589300-1452753383_thumb.j

It came out looking pretty good. Glad I could help.

I never could get a picture to show the depth of a finish. Even on HD video, moving it this way and that, trying to get the light to hit it just right.

Also, I always dye my stuff before it's even glued up. I'll often use a thread color that'll contrast/complement the color of the leather.

Thank you! I've mostly been remembering to dye at least parts of the sheath before sewing -- inside the belt loops and inside the sheath, because it's easier than after. I'm going to change from applying dye to getting some containers and dipping soon. But I'm near-sighted and need reading glasses now. It's hard for me to see what I want after dying, especially when its black.

I've got a couple more in process now -- I have more time with them and at least one is for someone I like a lot. I'm glad I learned how to do the belt clips, in case I have to again. I want to get better-quality threads than I've had. I'll read about stitching and see what others are using; if there's something I can get wthout having to order from overseas.

Looks like it really turned out good.

I just changed from using Tandy's thread to buying from Maine Leather Co. Little more expensive, especially with shipping to Canada but worth it. And lots of color options as well.

Thanks. I think four or five of his knives have sold this past week. That's a record. Pays property taxes and he was able to buy nickel-silver and brass, a bar of Damascus, and some yummy-looking handle materials. Next one that sells, we're buying more dyes, some new threads (and I'll look at Maine on line, thanks for that) and a couple of extra awls. I've been so unhappy with the last batch of thread I got from Tandy I keep meaning to write and tell them about it.

Halitech, how did you order thread from them? I'm seeing constructed items on the website, and those and leather scraps on the Etsy store, but no thread.

Here is the direct link

https://mainethread.com/index.php/waxed-polycord

I've been ordering the 0.030" and it is a dream to sew with. Has just enough wax that it pulls through, does not split when you are trying to thread the needle but doesn't drag when you are pulling it through the hole

Thanks! I'm looking now.