GrampaJoel

Flat Plate Rigging Question?

When a flat plat rigging is being drawn up to use on a saddle, how does one go about deciding on a depth or 'drop', from the tree for the front rigging plate?

Thanks

Joel

Joel..........most that I have seen are 6 - 7" drop from the front bar pad of the tree. Depending on the tree type and rigging hardware I'm using, most of mine are 6 1/2" to 6 3/4". JW

When a flat plat rigging is being drawn up to use on a saddle, how does one go about deciding on a depth or 'drop', from the tree for the front rigging plate?

Thanks

Joel

Joel ,I like my rigging to hang below the skirts,My skirts usually hang about 4 1/2 " below the front bar pad.So add about 2 " drop to make up for the 5053 cut out and your at 6 1/2 ".If i use a ring and drill The holes myself I will be deeper than that.

post-11588-061338200 1296523813_thumb.jp

post-11588-035799800 1296523787_thumb.jp

I have always turned first to the saddle builders here on this site for answers to my questions. I have never been let down. Thank you one and all!

Joel

JW

Thank you sir for your reply. It seems you are always stepping up to the bat when ever I ask a question. Your answers are clear and concise. They always seem to fit the bill.

Thank you again!

Steve

You also are a name I see trying to help folks you have never met. I also thank you sir for your answer, and the excellent photos.

It's amazing how a photo or two can fill in many blanks that words cannot.

I would also like to compliment you on something I noticed in your photos.

You always have very excellent saddles and I have often admired you skill with stamps and a swivel knife. With the saddle in the photos, I also noticed something often overlooked in many saddles I have seen, and that would be your Domed heads on the rigging rivets. They are most excellent!! A nice finished touch.

Nicely done

Thank you both for answering my questions.

Joel

Joel ,I like my rigging to hang below the skirts,My skirts usually hang about 4 1/2 " below the front bar pad.So add about 2 " drop to make up for the 5053 cut out and your at 6 1/2 ".If i use a ring and drill The holes myself I will be deeper than that.

post-11588-061338200 1296523813_thumb.jp

post-11588-035799800 1296523787_thumb.jp

You know I've never thought about driling the holes myself. Does that work pretty good? Do you just use a drill press?

Thanks

Joel

Just speaking for myself and, of course, I'm always right, I set all my plate and inskirt riggings using the same 'visualization' approach. I imagine the horse's anatomy and strive for two things:

1. Using the bottom of the curve of the hardware that will be used, get that point of pressure down to the break of the barrel, and

2. end up with a definite layering of that point, skirt edge, bottom of seat jockey, top portion of fenders and the point where most of the rider's weight comes to bear so that all of those things are spread out thus minimizing and distributing pressure and friction. And to complete the effect, if necessary, I 'plug' the areas around the hardware so that there are no humps or bumps, just smooth, tapering surfaces moving against one another.

ok , i had not seen that post when i posted mine here :

My link

but it seems that it does answer my question about the placement of the rigging dee

nice to see that i am not the only one with a lot of questions