Chad Von Lind

How Do I Achieve This Distressed Leather Technique?

Any ideas on how this guy managed to get the beat up and distressed leather?

I would guess some sort of acid etching. Any thoughts?

A_S__1911_Holster_Combo_by_Obsidian_Sun.jpg

I don't think it's etched at all. Looks to me like it's hand tooled to look like that. Then dyed, with possibly a coat of some type of resist applied after that, and then some kind of antique would be applied and then wiped off.

I'm guessing you could get those textures by casing some veg tanned leather, and then rolling a rock with some rough edges over the leather.

Absolutely - Lay that veg tan on your driveway or sidewalk and have a go at it, or work it with gravel. Easy Peasy distressed leather look.

This is interesting... I'm going to try this with a dog collar. I can see myself jumping up and down on cased leather on the driveway ;)

The person that created that is a user on this forum. "NoahL"

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showuser=9937

I thought there might be a chance that he was on here. I found the photo on his Deviant Art profile.

The driveway stomping is a great idea. Thanks guys!

No need to jump on the leather. Find some rough concrete in the driveway or an older asphalt roadway. Newer roads will sometime seep sealant into the leather. Lay the cased leather down and then put a couple heavy books on it. Wait about 1/2 hour and pick it up, dust it off and you have distressed leather. Let dry, oil and then die.

LOL @ BDT

You would hope so..i spose it depends on how busy the road was when you went back for the leather.. ;)

LOL @ BDT

You would hope so..i spose it depends on how busy the road was when you went back for the leather.. ;)

*snerk* HAHAHA! Sorry that's too funny. I immediately had the mental image of me dodging traffic on the interstate to pry a wallet back or belt off the road. I do tend to threaten to throw recalcitrant projects out into the street to be run over.

No I meant it like it was written.

Should elaborate.

..die... from shear awe in the bitchin leather do-dad you just made.

HA! I am usually a bit more careful in my typing. Oops

It's all good...I just couldn't resist! I have archived this as good material to stick in my brain for later. Thanks for the question...and if it gets me leather to DIE for, then mores the better!!!

Yup, to get the texture just give that cased leather a workover on some artificial surface of your choice. I have seen some pieces that were beat to death with a chain (looked almost like a pear shader attack on steroids). I don't typically go after this style of texture but I do go after the finish appearance. I achieve my look by applying antique paste (that is all that I use aside from dye for the colored details) and allowing it to set up (partially dry) before I actually remove any excess or buff. The trick is to apply it unevenly (I know, goes against all that we have been told and taught) so as to achieve the different penetration results. Once I start buffing, I will buff some areas more than others but once it is done, I have a varying degree of tone without having to get creative trying to do a "resist wash".

I have a noobie question since I'm getting ready to try my hand at cases - what order to do things in:

burnishing

tooling

shaping

I ask about burnishing because I'v eread that for shaped cases you should not burnish before - so I hear you burnish before tooling so now I'm all confused as to which chickens come before which eggs...

I was taught many moons ago that burnishing was the final stage of the finishing process just before applying your coloring and/or finishes. If by shaping, you mean wet forming or something along that line, you may want to do your tooling/stamping before hand so that you can have a solid base for the work (not to mention, your tooling/stamping needs to be very deep if some of it is actually going to be contoured).

Think that covered your questions. Let me know if I missed anything.

I can't remember where I found this - but think it might help!

Aging Leather - post-15330-0-85090600-1349798700_thumb.j

LOL @ BDT

:rofl: LMAO that is funny stuff tight there buddy :rofl:

I don't think it's etched at all. Looks to me like it's hand tooled to look like that. Then dyed, with possibly a coat of some type of resist applied after that, and then some kind of antique would be applied and then wiped off.

I'm guessing you could get those textures by casing some veg tanned leather, and then rolling a rock with some rough edges over the leather.

I think you are on to something here

and the rock as a stamping tool is a great idea I will have to give it a try on a project.

I think the pic holster the Op uploaded has a nice look to it BTW :clapping:

I asked this same question a year or 2 ago. I know that one of the tools he used is the E294 stamp at different angles. I've always admired his technique, but I still want to know the dyes, antique etc he used. He called it "post apocalyptic". I've attached one of his belts that he posted here.

post-13092-0-90546500-1350858089_thumb.j

Edited by Jaymack

Might help if you lived next to a concrete plant or something of the like. I like the patterning effect. Have to try the laying it on the road and letting my grandaughter run over it with her tricycle.

It mostly depends on what you are making and how you plan to make it..... not trying to be saucy really.

The order of operations depends on how and when you shape in the process, edges than cant be burnished when assembled, tooling that cant be done once shaped or assembled..etc..... that is why there is not one answer fits all... single edges can be burnished before but stitched together edges after assembly etc...

Think though how you are going to build the piece and you will then know the order to do things. And like all of us you will sometimes get it our of order and either have to start over or carry on and work it out as you go. And always try to remember your mistakes.

Edited by plinkercases

moved subject to the correct forum

Edited by ConradPark