I have been racking my brain for the past few months and I have not been able to come up with a name that I am satisfied with for my one-man leatherworking operation.

I really would just like some filler words, for example: mercantile, brand, works, goods, etc...

I would love to use my last name (Petty), but unfortunately, the word "petty" also has a definition in the dictionary that is synonomous with lesser quality. But if I could insert a filler word, so that "Petty" isnt describing the type of leather, or the type of operation I am running, that would be ideal.

Something like "Petty (insert word here) leather goods".

Or am I just over-thinking this? Because, at the same time, I think that anyone with common sense would realize that no one in their right mind would use a negative word like "petty" to describe their own product, so they must come to the conclusion that "petty" is a surname. Am I right?

I don't know! Does anyone have any good ideas? What are some common generic words people use in their leather company names, or even words that people use in the trade business?

Thanks

Zayne

They probably won't think of petty as a last name. If its under petty and Co, it could work. I wouldn't take a chance and hope that the customer will know its your last name, some others will be unsure.

Large companies spend tens of thousands of dollars and 6-8 months on a business name, all through a firm that handles that sort of thing. So you aren't overthinking it,

In business theres no such thing as overthinking. If you don't go through the facts and do market research, don't bother going into business it won't end well.

It should have these things:

Memorable

Give off the main vibe of the company

short

non generic

D & L Mercantile Leather Goods -or Leather Works

What kind of leatherwork do you do?

For now, I do accessories, (belts, wallets, key fobs, etc...)

They probably won't think of petty as a last name. If its under petty and Co, it could work. I wouldn't take a chance and hope that the customer will know its your last name, some others will be unsure.

Large companies spend tens of thousands of dollars and 6-8 months on a business name, all through a firm that handles that sort of thing. So you aren't overthinking it,

In business theres no such thing as overthinking. If you don't go through the facts and do market research, don't bother going into business it won't end well.

It should have these things:

Memorable

Give off the main vibe of the company

short

non generic

I agree, thank you for your input. Looks like I wont be using my last name. I do have another good idea for a name (at least I think so) but I am slightly worried about trademark infringement. Do you have any experience on the matter?

D & L Mercantile Leather Goods -or Leather Works

I really like the word mercantile. Would that be appropriate for a business that sells just one type of good?

Thanks

Zayne

Does Petty imply inferiority? How about Richard Petty Racing? Take pride in your name. Your brand name should reflect your product. Focus on what your product will be, and develop a brand around it.

I do have another good idea for a name (at least I think so) but I am slightly worried about trademark infringement. Do you have any experience on the matter?

if it isn't unique enough so that people won't be confused by the name, don't use it. in other words, if there is a chance someone would confuse your product with some other company's product, i would strongly recommend not using the name.

Does Petty imply inferiority? How about Richard Petty Racing? Take pride in your name. Your brand name should reflect your product. Focus on what your product will be, and develop a brand around it.

i wouldn't personally buy anything from a company called "petty leather" or whatever for the same reasons the OP stated.

Edited by LTC

Depends what your market is that you are selling to that should dictate your company name. "first name" Petty leather goods may work if you intend to keep it small. Only companies that works for retail market are louis vuitton, Phillip Lim, Versace ect and they are mostly high end. If I call it Dave's leather it sounds like its made out of my garage, which it may be and the quality could be very good, but the name of the company doesnt help convey that.

If you are selling home made soup, Dave's Garden selection makes it sound natural.

Your brand name and product should be on the same wavelength if that makes any sense.

It was easier in the past decades to incorporate your name into the business since everything was based off the quality of your product, now with all the internet and marketing thats available people make names that are catchy, unique and work to stand out in the market. Back in the day there were most likely a few big companies that sold X product now there are 20 times more that sell the same thing.

Edited by DavidL

1 man 2 hands leather

"ZP Custom Leather", or "Zayne Petty Custom Leather". I have used "PFL Leather and Tack" and currently I use "Paul Long Custom Leather"

From that point the quality of your product and service defines you…..and the growth of your trade.

Paul

Edited by sheathmaker

I would advise against the word mercantile, as its an outdated word -> giving the idea that your brand is outdated. It is an interesting word but you have to look at it in the eyes of the consumer. Mercantile would work well if you are selling spices or supplies, not leather goods. Only my opinion.

If your doing custom goods like holsters and sheaths and the such using your name is normal. If your end goal is to get it into stores a more universal name would work and also your own name could work, you could go either way, its your choice.

I agree, most people would realize it's a name not a description of your work. Though I'd need to see examples of you work to make a fair call on that. ;-)

"Petty Leather Works" or similar would be good.

"Petty Great Leather" and let the customer fill in the R. :D

Petty's Pocket Leather (pocket because you make wallets and such but that might be too limiting if/when you branch out)(THe point being you add the 's to make it obviously a name rather than an adjective)

Leather By Petty - your initials and logo could incorporate the x that is common now for "by" - LxP

InZayne Leather Goods - Your prices are CRAZY!

Edited by HippieLee

I agree with Sheathmaker, using the word custom allows your customer to know that you are willing to do made to order, one-of-a-kind, custom work.

I’m going to ask the same question as another member. I need a leather business name. I do horse tack, bags belts. Please ,any ideas would be sooooooo appreciated.

Im not sure!

Although a tip I can see now? Is to consider how you may want this on a makers mark.  This you might just use company initials or something else partially or the complete name.  

In anycase I liked the requirement of at least a line draw of a design in its future. Not for the paperwork but any visuals you may use. 

Good luck

Floyd

ps: you can always try any names here for ideas or really to pass the, ya go for it test. 

I like InZane Leather Works. I think that is cool. 

Leather by Zane. 

ZP Custom Leather.

Premium Petty Works

Premium Petty Leather

Z. Petty Leather.

Petty Premium Leather

@Sattendorn if you just use Sattendorn Leather that would be great. It has a certain classy classical feel. Rolls off the tongue. Say this out loud. Sattendorn Bridle Company. It sounds like it has been around for a long time.

Thanks guys I appreciate your input.( I hope this replies the right way, lol)

@zaynexpettyI was going to suggest "In Zayne Fine Leather Goods," but someone beat me to the idea. (I think your first name is more distinctive/unusual than your last  name.)

@SattendornFor the tack company name, the first thing I thought was "Saddledorn Leather."  It sounds so much like your last name, incorporating part of it, and identifies the kinds of products you make.

Lol, that’s clever! 

Are you from Germany? ('Satten' sounds a bit like 'Sattel' = Saddle in German. Satten and Dorn are also German words.  Attendorn is a town in Germany)

No GiGi I’m from the U.S. my first name is Shari  Attendorn. I was thinking TackShack Leather Design or Homestead leather. Not sure about the DESIGN aspect. Only added it as I also do belts and bags as well as tack.

~ Attendorn`s ~ Equestrian & Custom Leather ~

My 2 cents ;)

Edited by Constabulary

thank you Constabulary but I’d rather not use my name if I can help it, lol.