Sarah C

Segma Snaps

So, I can get the male end of the snap to set perfectly, but the female end? Forget it. The socket won't properly set into the cap, so when I pick up my leather piece, the cap falls off. The socket stays put, and will actually snap just fine, but won't for the life of anything hold on to the cap.

I'm not sure what weight leather I'm using, I bought I belly on sale a week ago at Tandy. The flyer says "6oz and up." I knew the snaps were for belt leather, so I figured a thicker leather wouldn't be a problem for setting. At this point I'm about ready to start gluing the damn caps on.

I'm using the setters Tandy sells, and no, I can't afford a $100 anything to set snaps. I scrape together money to be able to go to Tandy and play with my new hobby, so I could barely afford the cheap Tandy setters. I'd appreciate some advice for using the cheap tools, please!! Ofc, it's probably just me.

Thanks in advance!!

I get my stuff from Tandy too, and use their setters also. I prefer their line 20 snaps - I too have no luck with the segmas.

I'm making very thin bands, so I have no choice but to use the segmas. I usually use the 20's also- I've gotten pretty good at setting them. These are just kicking my ass! I don't want to give up on them, I really like the look of these half inch wristbands! Its very frustrating!

Wristbands were what led me to try segmas again too. They are just way too much frustration for me. I've tried several different ways of setting them - in fact I think there's a really good free video on it on Tandy's site, but I'm just not gettin' it.

Try the glove snaps. They are easier to work with than the Segma and are small enough for the narrow bands. Here is my tip on the glove snaps, you have to place the bottom piece on a flat anvil surface so that it flattens out when you set it, otherwise it will not hold. Took me a few to figure that out.

Try the glove snaps. They are easier to work with than the Segma and are small enough for the narrow bands. Here is my tip on the glove snaps, you have to place the bottom piece on a flat anvil surface so that it flattens out when you set it, otherwise it will not hold. Took me a few to figure that out.

They also seem to be a lot cheaper... thanks for the tip!

is there a machine that sets the segma snaps?

Hi Sarah,

You can get a press and dies from KAMsnaps, use their snaps too, they work well together. You might want to call and talk to them about your needs.

Art

is there a machine that sets the segma snaps?

Hi Sarah,

You can get a press and dies from KAMsnaps, use their snaps too, they work well together. You might want to call and talk to them about your needs.

Art

Thanks! looking at their site now. I don't have the kind of money for a machine like that right now, but I'll keep it in mind. Thanks again!

Hi Sarah,

Art

Art- Have you used the plastic snaps on any leather goods? That's probably super unconventional but they're a lot cheaper than the press needed for the metal snaps. I'm sure they'll work just fine, I just want to know if it would be like... okay... or if I'd be breaking some sort of unknown rule handed down by the leather gods.

Thanks!!!

Wristbands were what led me to try segmas again too. They are just way too much frustration for me. I've tried several different ways of setting them - in fact I think there's a really good free video on it on Tandy's site, but I'm just not gettin' it.

Out of curiosity, did you use black or silver snaps? I bought two packs of each color, and look what I found!

The SILVER snaps snap like a charm!! The BLACK snap caps don't have as much ummm whatever that word is... curl? prickly things sticking out?, so the caps don't grab onto the socket properly! The black ones look as if someone already curled the prongs over. PRONGS! That's the word... anyway...

You can really see the difference!!! Look:

post-20464-044314500 1308705044_thumb.jp

Yep, I found the same thing...the silver work much better than the black but overall out of the two types, I have better luck not only setting but with longevity of the Glove snaps than I do/did with the Sigmas.

Edited by Spinner

Yep, I found the same thing...the silver work much better than the black but overall out of the two types, I have better luck not only setting but with longevity of the Glove snaps than I do/did with the Sigmas.

I emailed Tandy about the problem and they said I should have never received the black ones that I did. They were being returned to the manufacturer already, and I'm getting free replacements. The silver ones seem to have held up so far. I banged a few with the mallet just to check (the black ones all fell off when I initiated the first snap with the mallet) and they seem fairly solid. I suppose only time will tell!!

Can you use glove snaps on thicker leather? I only use 6oz and up for my cuffs.

Thanks!

Edited by Sarah C

Sarah,

If the snap will stand up to the work, plastic should be ok. From the artistic standpoint, if you are creating a "manly" type of product, you might not want to put pink plastic snaps on it.

As far as cost goes, a cheap harbor freight arbor press can be turned into a snap press using Tandy setters, just drill a hole in the ram to fit the setter part of the set and the anvil goes underneath, bingo, good working press. Drill and tap the ram for a set screw with a hand knob on it and you're in business.

Art

Art- Have you used the plastic snaps on any leather goods? That's probably super unconventional but they're a lot cheaper than the press needed for the metal snaps. I'm sure they'll work just fine, I just want to know if it would be like... okay... or if I'd be breaking some sort of unknown rule handed down by the leather gods.

Thanks!!!

Sarah,

If the snap will stand up to the work, plastic should be ok. From the artistic standpoint, if you are creating a "manly" type of product, you might not want to put pink plastic snaps on it.

As far as cost goes, a cheap harbor freight arbor press can be turned into a snap press using Tandy setters, just drill a hole in the ram to fit the setter part of the set and the anvil goes underneath, bingo, good working press. Drill and tap the ram for a set screw with a hand knob on it and you're in business.

Art

OOO! Thanks! Dad just LOVES it when I think in his shop, lol.

Thanks!! And worry not, I despise pink.

I have used a couple of plastic snaps on a pouch I made myself, mostly because I wanted navy blue and I already had the snaps from other projects. Its only been a couple of months but I use the pouch constantly at work (it holds my door swipe and keys, screwdriver etc) and so far the snaps are holding up just fine. I probably open and close the pouch at least a dozen times a day.

I had used the same snaps on my grandson's cloth nappy's. they where used constantly for 3 years and chucked through the washing machine daily and are still fine. I got my plastic snaps from these guys, who have done loads of strength testing

http://www.greenbean...5bcea3768a97de5

I have altered a beer bottle capper press to hold the die's and it works a treat.

post-19292-058509800 1308777910_thumb.jp

Natalie

Out of curiosity, did you use black or silver snaps? I bought two packs of each color, and look what I found!

The SILVER snaps snap like a charm!! The BLACK snap caps don't have as much ummm whatever that word is... curl? prickly things sticking out?, so the caps don't grab onto the socket properly! The black ones look as if someone already curled the prongs over. PRONGS! That's the word... anyway...

You can really see the difference!!! Look:

post-20464-044314500 1308705044_thumb.jp

Well...that is interesting, isn't it? I am one half inch from giving up on segmas forever. My local Tandy lady tells me my leather is too thick (6 to 8oz). I am beginning to wonder if that is a company way to say the design of the black segmas is less than horrible. I mean...look at it. It doesn't look ready to grab anything. And the post? Where or how is it supposed to collapse into a securing fashion?

I think the bottom line is that black segma snaps are good looking, VERY poorly designed snaps.

Well...that is interesting, isn't it? I am one half inch from giving up on segmas forever. My local Tandy lady tells me my leather is too thick (6 to 8oz). I am beginning to wonder if that is a company way to say the design of the black segmas is less than horrible. I mean...look at it. It doesn't look ready to grab anything. And the post? Where or how is it supposed to collapse into a securing fashion?

I think the bottom line is that black segma snaps are good looking, VERY poorly designed snaps.

I actually got a replacement from tandy when I emailed customer service. They have redesigned the black ones- they look like the silver ones now, and work just fine!

I actually got a replacement from tandy when I emailed customer service. They have redesigned the black ones- they look like the silver ones now, and work just fine!

No way...that is awesome! I love the way these things look, but daiiiing...I hated them.

Thanks