Sign in to follow this  
Suze

Suze's toys

Hi all

UKRay was after me the other day about me not being on the forums so much...

well I am busy getting ready for a Newcomer's Seminar (www.SCA.org) for our Medieval group.

one of the things I will be doing is teaching Kumihimo (Japanese Braiding) and to do that I had to make stands for the students. Well not having the time or the skills (*cough*money*cough) to make real wood stands. Here is what I came up with. Foam core and soda bottles

and for the bobbins - a friend gave me a slew of One Touch Ultra test strip containers.

well DRAT (and a few other words that a Lady shouldn't repeat)

can't get the silly pic little enough for the machine to up load.....

I'll see what I can do about that

sorry

Well I think I got it

round about way but here it is

Suze's toy.jpg

post-3139-12565151639_thumb.jpg

The stand looks good. Post pics of the braid you are teaching if you can, i would like to see what those stands create.

Is that the instructions in the picture or did you come up with them?

The stand looks good. Post pics of the braid you are teaching if you can, i would like to see what those stands create.

Is that the instructions in the picture or did you come up with them?

The papers in the pic are pattens for different braids. This was a craft that the Samuri's armor was laced together with

Lanyard braiding is a decendent of it.

so many of the patterns that you use for leather braiding "look" like what comes off the stand.

The stand itself is my design, the only drawback I have is the post fittings. (tops of soda bottles) and the lack of the little containers for the bobbins. (One Touch Ultra Test strips) they hold "just the right amount" of pennies for weight.

Cool! I had never heard of "kumihimo" before and was wondering if it resembled the braids i've used in making horse gear.

The papers in the pic are pattens for different braids. This was a craft that the Samuri's armor was laced together with

Lanyard braiding is a decendent of it.

so many of the patterns that you use for leather braiding "look" like what comes off the stand.

The stand itself is my design, the only drawback I have is the post fittings. (tops of soda bottles) and the lack of the little containers for the bobbins. (One Touch Ultra Test strips) they hold "just the right amount" of pennies for weight.

A heavier weight version of this stand could make braiding leather cord for neck (bolo) ties and the like a lot easier. It seems to work very well for more complex braiding and keeps everything in the right place . I've just build a prototype and had a try and it works well as long as you have the height between the top and bottom of the jig.

Nice one Suze - most inventive and useful.

Ray

Well Ray if you want a "heavier stand"

look up some of the Kumihimo sites and look for a Maurdai (and hold your breath at the price a good one will be between 1 and 2 hundred dollars -- http://www.braidershand.com/marudai.html)

However you can also make them out of an old round stool.....

just drill a hole in the center of the seat (about 2 inches is good)

The deal is that the bobbins are weighted and that bag in the center of the stand is about half of the weight of all the bobbins put together (less weight a stiff braid - more weight a loose braid)

Kumihimo can be very relaxing if you have a pattern you don't have to think too much about. (I've got this darn "right/left" confusion going on a lot of times)

have fun.....

Kumihimo can be very relaxing if you have a pattern you don't have to think too much about. (I've got this darn "right/left" confusion going on a lot of times)

have fun.....

Oh no you don't, Suze. Enough is enough!... Right/left confusions definitely don't go well with my well known inability to confuse inside with outside and ending up with two turnshoes that both fit a left foot.

I just played for another ten minutes and decided this was for someone with far more time on their hands than me!

A lovely technique though, and one that I'm going to revisit when I need some particularly fine braided leather cord for a project. Long braided Medieval purse strings come to mind... or perhaps as part of some leather jewellery. Hmmmmmm!

Ray

Oh no you don't, Suze. Enough is enough!... Right/left confusions definitely don't go well with my well known inability to confuse inside with outside and ending up with two turnshoes that both fit a left foot.

I just played for another ten minutes and decided this was for someone with far more time on their hands than me!

A lovely technique though, and one that I'm going to revisit when I need some particularly fine braided leather cord for a project. Long braided Medieval purse strings come to mind... or perhaps as part of some leather jewellery. Hmmmmmm!

Ray

BUT RAY.....

You didn't make a pair of turnshoes with two left feet

You made TWO turnshoes for those one legged Pirates out there.......

Be careful with the Kumi stand -- It can get addictive.

a good book to get is Jacqui Carey's beginning Kumihimo -- It has a new name now but if you Google her website you can get the latest and greatest (and she is in the UK as well) It's not too expensive and takes you through all the steps "with pictures"

(waiting to see that leather jewlrey)

BUT RAY.....

You didn't make a pair of turnshoes with two left feet

You made TWO turnshoes for those one legged Pirates out there.......

I quite like the idea of being a pirate - much more fun than being a ninja...

If you are very good I won't post the pirate picture.

Great,

Another craft I have to learn.... You realize that at 64 there are a limited number of these left for me.

Dave

Great,

Another craft I have to learn.... You realize that at 64 there are a limited number of these left for me.

Dave

but it is not hard to learn -- you can get going in an afternoon.....

Oh and RAY --- I'm bad --- really really bad.......Grins and Giggles

Nah, you're going to have to be a lot worse than that for me to post the pirate picture. Johanna will wack my ears SO badly if I post the pirate picture...

Nah, you're going to have to be a lot worse than that for me to post the pirate picture. Johanna will wack my ears SO badly if I post the pirate picture...

Hey - that could be fun to watch --- I KNOW she has whips and chains.....

post the pic, post the pic......

Hey - that could be fun to watch --- I KNOW she has whips and chains.....

post the pic, post the pic......

Now that really was quite naughty... I wouldn't be surprised if she whomped YOUR ears for that...

(Whips AND chains eh? woohoo!)

Now that really was quite naughty... I wouldn't be surprised if she whomped YOUR ears for that...

(Whips AND chains eh? woohoo!)

ME -- she can't whomp ME

I'M

THE SUZE!

Able to fix anything with a swiss army knife and duct tape and cardboard......