Not really trying to show off. This is the second saddle I've ever built. There are a bunch of things I'm not totally happy with but I at least know what to change on the next ones.HPIM0309.JPGHPIM0311.JPGHPIM0318.JPGSaddle makers I would appreciate an honest critique.

HPIM0312.JPG

post-3534-1219072555_thumb.jpg

post-3534-1219072617_thumb.jpg

post-3534-1219072657_thumb.jpg

post-3534-1219072688_thumb.jpg

Elton, I think it looks great. I have often wondered why is the horn wrapped up like that? Is it to protect it from wear?

Tom

Tom, thanks for the compliment. Yes the horn is wrapped for two reasons, one is to protect from wear and the second reason is to act like a brake to slow down the critter and gently bring it to a stop.

You should be rightly proud of that! Sheesh, only the second saddle? I sure do have a lot to learn yet.

I can't tell on my little laptop in the shop, cause the graphics arent great, could you post a pic of the border close up? It looks great from here, but it also looks different, sure would like to see.

There's a fine rig Elton. Good work!!!!

Elton,

Looks good. I like the stitch pattern on back billets. A little more interest than the regular ol' sine wave lines. I really like the way you used that trinity/propeller/whatevertheycallit stamp for the border. I had to look pretty close to see exactly what stamp that was. Neat effect.

Bruce, that whatevertheycallit stamp can be challenging for a border stamp. Jeff wanted this saddle to look different from most so that's why we went with the border and flower choices. As for the billet stitching, I have a little jig made up and I use my Osborne stitch compass(old style that accepts Douglas' tips) and get it done REAL QUICK.

Almost to pretty to ride. Great work combining floral and stamped design. Two thumbs up

Shucks, that looks pretty nice to me. Looks as though you really take your time to do things correctly.

Really nice looking saddle.

I like the details, nice touch with the lace stiching:-)

Elton,

Nice job on the saddle! Nice tool work and good job with finishing touches!

I would like to see a photo of your "jig" for the rear billets stitching.

Keep up the great work!

Rick J.

Great job Elton.

Very sharp, I realy like the border. Your carving looks good too. Keep 'em coming.

Doug

Elton,

Sure couldn't tell from looking that it's only your second one. I really like your tooling, that's a neat flower.

I dont consider myself a "real" saddle maker so I'll be interested in seeing what they have to say. I like pretty and yours fits that. One thing I can say. On a cantle like that, I like the hidden stitch on the back. I can't keep my stitches very straight on the back side so hiding them was a good option for me.

Hey Elton:

Nice job Buddy, not a fan of buckstitching at all but it's not my saddle. It looks great. Smooth lines and the carving, as always looks nice and crisp. Congratulations. This ones a winner.

ps; I got the rivet setters. Thanx :deadsubject:

Great job Elton! I'm still working on my second and it's not as good as yours. You did a fantastic job.

I really like the border standing. I'd also like to see the jig that you have to sew the billets.

ArtS