oclack

Sewpro Mini 441... First Machine Ever. Now What?

I just picked up my very first sewing machine. I've been hand stitching everything (satchels, bags, wallets, belts, cases, etc.) for the last 2 years and decided it was time to step up. I bought from a local dealer - Bogle-Greenwell.

I was able to do some test runs with it on some belt scraps. Its stitching well, but I have noticed a couple of things...

1) The feed dogs (on bottom) are leaving teeth marks on the rear of my material

2) The presser feet (on top) are also leaving marks (smoother than whats's happening on the bottom, but marks none the less)

3) The stitching on the bottom side is clean - there are no loops, but it doesn't look nearly as nice as the top.

I apologize if the vocabulary is a little off - I'm not yet up to speed on all the sewing maching terminology yet... But I'll get there.

If any of your pros could point me in a good direction to fixing these issues I would greatly appreciate it. Also, if you can refer me to any good reference materials - books, videos, etc. - on how to use this machine that would help too. Honestly, while I figured out how to thread the needle, I don't even understand how to wind the bobbin or replace it yet. So... Your help is definitely needed.

Thanks.

post-31940-0-41112200-1385073702_thumb.j

post-31940-0-89729300-1385073753_thumb.j

Hello...

I was going to comment on your machine's feet marking your leather...what I've been told is people buy spares of those feet (so you can hang onto the unmodified ones if you need them later) and then grind the teeth down so that they're smooth...or smoother anyway...to avoid leaving marks.

For how to wind the bobbin and all, your machine should've come with a manual...if not, the dealer should supply you with one. In the meantime, maybe you can find it on google docs?

Edited by TXAG

Your machine is primarily a clone of a Juki 441, the Cobra 4, Cowboy and others are also clones of the Juki 441. If you go to you tube and look up Cobra 4 there are a couple videos that will help..... http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=cobra%204%20sewing%20machine&sm=1

You can purchase a smooth feed dog and left and right toe (plus double toe) feet from Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines, or Leather Machine Company (Cobra), or Techsew, all of which support this forum. They also carry alternate throat plates and other accessories you may need some day. Ask for accessories for a 441 clone.

Edited by Wizcrafts

Thanks you for the help. I'll watch each of the videos. I think I'll also stop back by Bogle-Greenwell for a little one on one. Now… If I can just figure out how to wind this bobbin.

Put a spool of thread on the stand. Pull it down through the disk on and to where you stick a bobbin on. Get a bobbin stick the end of the thread through the slot on the bobbin. Wind some thread onto the bobbin, stick it on the shaft. Push the piece on the side of the wheel where you bobbin is till it clicks. Stick something under the foot and sew the bobbin will wind if not wind it the other direction. When it's full it click back. Or you can get something and slide the bobbin down onto it stick your stick in a cordless drill and wind. That's what that thing is on your table on the right hand side.

Edited by dirtclod

Thanks you for the help. I'll watch each of the videos. I think I'll also stop back by Bogle-Greenwell for a little one on one. Now… If I can just figure out how to wind this bobbin.

There is a bobbin winder assembly on the right end of the machine. I can see it in your first photo. The big wheel on the winder gets pushed forward into the main drive belt, with a fresh bobbin mounted on the shaft on the right end of the winder. There is a lever on top of the bobbin that will get pushed up when the thread loads to whatever density that lever is set to trigger at. When the lever pops up, the wheel is pulled back, away from the drive belt.

You need to load thread from a spool on the thread stand, up, then down to the back end of the winder frame. Go through whatever loops or guide holes are provided, then around a spring loaded tension disk set, then on to the bobbin. Feed the thread through a hole on the outside of the bobbin and hold it as you load the bobbin. If the bobbin loads too little before releasing, screw the lever counterclockwise to raise it and its trigger point. If the bobbin overflows, lower the lever.

Edited by Wizcrafts

Guys,

Things were working well, until I had to change out the bobbin, now I'm noticing that the material is not moving straight forward, but instead is turning slightly clockwise. I have to fight to keep the stitch line straight. I also hear a little click noise. Not sure if they're related.

Guys,

Things were working well, until I had to change out the bobbin, now I'm noticing that the material is not moving straight forward, but instead is turning slightly clockwise. I have to fight to keep the stitch line straight. I also hear a little click noise. Not sure if they're related.

You may have overlapped some windings on the new bobbin, causing it to bind as it feeds. Or, maybe the starting thread stub is long enough to catch on the bobbin case spring. That stub should be cut flush with the bobbin.

The bobbin winder has an adjustable sliding block that the tension disks are attached to. If the bobbin winds mostly on one side, loosen the screws that secure the sliding block and move the disks to the other direction. Secure the screws and try again.

There is a bent lever that flips down over the bobbin while it is winding. There is a screw on top of the lever. Adjust it away from the bobbin to load more thread.