Ignore the words on the images- I've posted a few places asking for assistance with IDing this.

Recently we happened to come by this saddle for $250. It weighs about 30lbs, 16" seat. We don't know much about it. The man who sold it to us said that it was his father's and was only used on a horse a few times - a claim backed up by the fleece. The man said he used to sit in it while watching Westerns with his dad when he was young, so judging by the man's age (mid 50s) I can guess the saddle is probably 40+ years old.

Staining is quite minimal. The only areas that demonstrate serious aging or damage are the saddle strings and a small scratched area on top of the horn. Other than that, it seems to be in rather good shape. This first picture is the truest to color... My camera doesn't do well indoors.

Bona Allen saddle right side (true to color)

Bona Allen saddle left side

I tried to look for a serial/model number, but can't seem to find it anywhere on the saddle. Checked the underside of the fork, under the skirts, on the stirrup straps... nadda. The only ID I can find on it is a logo that says "BONA ALLEN - JUMBO (with an elephant) - FT. WORTH, TEXAS"

Bona Allen saddle logo

I have looked up a bit about the brand but am very curious to know more.

Bona Allen saddle suede seat stitching

Bona Allen saddle stirrup

Any help identifying this saddle is HUGELY appreciated!

Edited by Savellla

Info regarding approximate age, value, guesses on model, and general opinions on this saddle brand are most welcome :)

Edited by Savellla

Schoellkoph of Dallas was know for the "Jumbo" trademark. The saddle was made before 1969, as Bona Allen was bought out by Tandy (TexTan) in that year. The saddle should have a rawhide covered tree. How is the leather, is it dry and stiff? If is soft and pliable I would guess it could bring around $500.00. What type of stirrup buckles does it have, Al Ray or Blevins, the cheaper saddles had Al Ray buckles in that era.

Thanks for your reply!

Yes, the tree is rawhide covered. Leather is dry on the latigo strap and the saddle strings- the thinner pieces- but the rest is of nice thick leather and in great shape- just needs a coat of oil. Stirrup buckles are Blevin.

I don't quite understand what the Jumbo trademark means, in this case. Was the saddle made by Schoellkoph or Bona Allen....? Forgive my confusion; I'm new to the world of older saddles.

Edited by Savellla

I think Bona Allen outsourced the saddle to Schoellkoph. In the late 60's TexTan was selling the Bona Allen saddles, and incorporated the Schoellkoph machinery into their plant. So you have a Bona Allen design saddle made by Schoellkoph.

Did a thorough cleaning and oiling today. The saddle is in better condition than I originally thought; even the saddle strings actually seem salvagable.

I also found the model and serial number:

01 0404

From what I understand, this means that it was made in October of 1973. Does anyone know how to decode the rest?

I think Bona Allen outsourced the saddle to Schoellkoph. In the late 60's TexTan was selling the Bona Allen saddles, and incorporated the Schoellkoph machinery into their plant. So you have a Bona Allen design saddle made by Schoellkoph.

Ah, now I understand, Thank you very much, tnawrot2!!!

From the early saddle making days, there were shops all over the place as saddle makers tried to keep up with the demand. Times changes, stock markets plummet, dirty 30's and two or three shops would combine and run under one name, often with a non saddle maker at the helm. Over numerous years more companies bo't up others and because of this it can pose a fair problem trying to figure out who made what and when.

The numbering code was typical of Tex Tan in those days.