Tex Shooter

A New Trick, At Least For Me.

Here is a new hand stitching trick for me at least. When stitching with waxed poly thread with way too much wax on it, I just thread my needle and pull the entire length of thread that I will be stitching with through it. This scrapes off a lot of the wax and also flattens the thread some, making it somewhat easier to pull through the leather. I use a 0 Osborne needle, but other sizes would probably work. also it seems to stitch a neater stitch. -- Tex

Here is a new hand stitching trick for me at least. When stitching with waxed poly thread with way too much wax on it, I just thread my needle and pull the entire length of thread that I will be stitching with through it. This scrapes off a lot of the wax and also flattens the thread some, making it somewhat easier to pull through the leather. I use a 0 Osborne needle, but other sizes would probably work. also it seems to stitch a neater stitch. -- Tex

I am definitely trying this. Have a big ass spool of that Tejas waxed thread from Tandy. It is insane how much wax is on it.

I run my thread through some brown paper to remove the excess wax and melt it bit down. I do notice that I only have to do this with my Tandy thread.

Springfield poly is what i do it with! -- Tex

I am definitely trying this. Have a big ass spool of that Tejas waxed thread from Tandy. It is insane how much wax is on it.

Aint that the truth! Ive started a little wax ball that Ive been keeping the wax that Ive scraped off the Tejas thread that I use. Mostly dont use a whole lot of it anymore mainly due to the fact that the HUGE amount of wax on the thread gets EVERYWHERE!

From the grump: As do others, I also use a chunk of a brown paper bag and draw the thread thru a folded section of the stuff -- rapidly -- so that a bit of heat is built up. Been working well for me for many years. One thing is that ONLY brown paper from grocery bags seems to work well. Personally, I feel that the brown bag has paper that is not as smooth as other types, and is somewhat more absorbent. Mike

Tandy thread is probably good as an example of what "too much wax" looks like!

Like many, I started with the Tandy stuff. When I moved to waxing my own thread, it became apparent that I didn't need nearly as much wax.

seems like tandy and ZW waxed poly are both the same kinda stuff although I prefer the ZW (less wax) I use the same technique very successfully BUT I use a piece of painters canvas drop cloth or a piece of scrap leather both work great.