roughout

Saddle Strings

I am looking for some input on saddle strings. I found some other discussions on this topic but I didn't feel like they were as fleshed out as I would like so I would like to resume the discussion.

I am debating whether tis better to string through the tree and skirts or screw the strings on through jockeys and rosette? The saddles I've built so far have all been strung through the tree. This is the way I learned, and when inspecting other saddles with screwed on strings I felt it looked like cutting corners. However, after giving it much thought, I cannot see any real disadvantages of screwing the strings. You would avoid any bumps on the underline of the bars, should have comparable strength, and would make repair far easier. I would appreciate any feedback and reasoning as to your preference. Thank you.

There is a lot of dissention surrounding this subject! To summarize: Tradition says that saddle strings must be drilled thru the tree. Modern methods utilize attaching saddle strings with screws. Both methods have merit and also problems. Your assesment is very correct regarding the comparable strength, and significantly easier to replace broken strings that are screwed onto the saddle. The other major advantage to installing with screws is reduction in trauma to the saddle tree. Drilling holes weakens the tree and leaves it exposed in several places and therefore susceptible to future damage from elements and wear. Both ways can be utilized effectively.

If you are building saddles in the strictest sense of tradition, than the saddle strings are an integral part of holding the saddle together, and they need to be drilled thru the tree. Modern methods of saddlemaking utilize other means of keeping the saddle together, and thus do not require strings drilled thru the tree. In the end, It is entirely up to you to decide how you want to make your saddles. And the responsibility falls on you to master whichever method you choose.

Keith

I'm old fasioned I guess, but I would only buy saddles with strings thru the tree. I use my strings for saddle bags and rifle scabbarts etc. I'm not going to trust my rifle and stuff with a screw, but most people don't do that anymore so screws would probly be ok for parade saddles and such. I'm not a saddle maker but I have put strings on roping saddles just drilling thru and tapping them flat. Just my opinon as a user.

Troy, Saddle strings are great for tying loose stuff onto your saddle, but it is not the tree that is supplying the strength. The saddle string is the same whether it is thru the tree or held with screws. Most good saddlers that install with screws run the strings thru jockeys and rosettes and put a screw on each side of the string. The only holes thru the string are the slits for the blood knots. This method is as strong as running thru the tree... and maybe stronger at the front since drilling the holes in the tree doesn't leave much tree left for nails or screws. None of these are strong enough to trust your rifle! You should attach to rigging or have rings attached at the strings screwed into the tree for heavy and valuable items like rifles, spotting scopes, etc.

post-5801-0-51207300-1426531628_thumb.jp

This is an example of a saddle I made as an experiment attaching strings with screws. I am also a traditionalist, and I wanted to do my own testing to ensure the method would be sound before selling it to clients. I have changes some of these strings several times from being broken or chewed, but never from pulling out of the saddle. The rings attached are for rifle scabbards, etc.

I don't mean to steal this thread, but are you guys using anything to pull the top concho, or rosette down tight against the saddle? I've tried to just bleed the strings tight, but it leaves an unsightly gap. I have pulled them apart on other saddles, and found the bottom rosette nailed down, but the top one was usually loose. Any opinions?

Thanks,

Reid G.

Interesting thread. I have always drilled holes on most of my saddles, if they are going to have strings. I even built one early on for myself that I screwed in because I was worried about holes in the tree, and I went back years later and drilled them. The strings were always coming unscrewed, BUT I did not do it like Keith explains. I do see a lot of old saddles with the tree rotted out at the string holes. I also work on a lot of saddles that aren't drilled that are coming apart because they don't have strings through the tree to keep them together. But again, they are not made like Keith explained, and he builds far more saddles than I do. As far as the holes rotting out, I don't know if it will make a difference, but I take a little paintbrush and get some polyurethane in the holes and let it dry well before assembling. We'll all be dead before any of us have a chance to find out if it made a difference.

My biggest reason for trying another way to mount the strings was the frustration of having holes in the tree right where I needed to nail off the conchos. Especially the front seat jockey with the latigo carriers and conchos both and not much tree to nail to. Also the time and expense replacing the strings. That is one part that will most definately need to be replaced before the saddle wears out!

I still struggle with the validity of screwing on the strings instead of drilling, but I do believe it can be done well and the benefits are great.

Keith

Very interesting thread!

I am a very inexperienced saddle 'maker'. I am currently building my second rig for my fiance and I have in the past liked strings to run through the tree. However, on the first saddle I built I ran into the situation Keith describes of there being very poor fastening material left for the latigo carriers up front.

Since, I have come across this theory:

STRING HOLES

I would value input as I am getting close to where I am going to need to make a decision on the method I use.
Ron L
Edited by rdl123

I'm not trying to influence anyone and not promoting any method over another. Just want y'all to recognize there are other ways to do things. Just because something is different than the way you think is best, does not mean it is wrong or does not work equally as well. As our world progresses and technology advances, new methods will emerge that are better than the"old"ways. These things should not be feared, but tested and proven before we condemn them, and those who use them.

Edited by kseidel

I agree with Keith’s thoughts. Saddle making in my observation is a time warp in respects to the old or traditional ways. If any industry is to be viable is must innovate. It has been my experience, that saddle makers by in large resist innovation. For example, should a tree that is ten times stronger, 90% lighter, with the same qualitites and at a similar price of a wood tree covered with rawhide be rejected because it is not traditional? Think carbon fiber in ten or fifteen years.

As to the question at hand. I have heard and have been told many times that when building a saddle you must be very careful to not cut into the rawhide as that will weaken the rawhide and lead to failure of the tree, which I understand. But, then we drill 1/4" to 3/8” holes in some of the weakest points in the saddle tree. A cut is bad but several holes are OK? Think about it. This is something I have never understood and never received a reasonable answer other than it is traditional.

If tradition is the way to go then cowboys need to do away with the internet, smart phones, GPS, etc. Just an old saddle maker’s opinion.

The old guy weighs in. Steve has just about said it all. Tradition and, and, I forgot what else says drilled through. And there is even the possibility of a combined approach. Drill the back ones through and screw the others. On some, one can even leave off the middle string. And then there's barrel saddles and so on. If one were to decide to give screws a chance, there are better and worse ways to do that. And what kind of screws to use? I have changed my views on that in the many years that I have been whacking and pounding. I now use what started out as drywall screws and have morphed into a huge selection of sizes and finishes. And while I hated phillips head screws when I was younger, I have used them exclusively for a long time. I still have straight bits for my screwdrivers but I usually have to hunt to find them on the rare occasions now that I need one. And i have three color TVs in my house instead of one B&W. Keep on trying and one day you too will be old and ugly.

OOOOOPs!!!, I meant that KEITH, not Steve, had about said it all.