Billy H

All Leather Ground Seat

I have had a hide of Bark Tanned Latigo that I bought quite awhile back. It felt as though it had hardly any Hot stuffed wax or oil in it and took water almost like Skirting leather. That said it does not mold or shape as well as skirting leather. So it has been sitting rolled up in the corner of my little shop for sometime now.

I am going to build a young lady a Wade saddle with her request for a All Leather Ground Seat. The seat will have very little rise to it. What are your thoughts on using this hide for the Ground Seat?

Thank you in advance, Billy

Not a fan of all leather in the first place but certainly wouldn't use that stuff for one

Thank you for your thought Oltoot.

I have gathered that you like a tin seat, they have a lot of merrit to that method.

I believe you are right not to use Bark tanned Latigo for a leather ground seat. We are trying to keep her budget at a minimum, so I am doing my best to use left overs from previous saddles without ordering another hide. Probably a bad thought the Latigo hide; I don't think it would hold shape very well. I did find a piece of tin today and I believe I can make a strainer from it.

Thank you Billy

Because of the oils and tallows stuffing latigo, it is difficult to get glue to stick reliably to latigo leather, regardless how dry it may seem. Even with a tin strainer, it will be difficult to keep the dish stuck tight into the tree. You can only nail it down so well. Cement is and important element in ground seat construction.

Thank you Keith,

It was a bad idea---- just had one of those moments when trying to think of how to make something work :). Billy