bruce johnson

Stamping around a Makers Stamp

I think it was Pete who asked how to do this pre-crash. I posted this little demo the night before cyber cardiac arrest. Here goes again. I used some scrap I had, didn't case it very well, and here it is. I do this a couple different ways, and will demo this one first.

In the first pic I have centered the makers stamp, and started the pattern. I usually stamp a row at a time, and start at the top. For no particular reason, I started this one at the bottom. Once I have stamped up to and kind of around the makers stamp, I shot some faint lines to guide the stamping on the other side of the makers stamp. I stamped partial tipped impressions around the cut border and the makers stamp to fade them in. In the second picture I have filled in the pattern. In the third picture I have gone around the cut border and makers stamp with beveler. You can see that it took out the crisp outer line of my makers stamp. In the final pic, I have gone around the makers stamp and cut border with a border stamp. To crisp up the makers stamp and re-establish the outer line, I carefully reregistered the makers stamp into the original impression and tapped it.

Maker__s_Stamp__Small_.jpg

Maker__s_Stamp_002__Small_.jpg

Maker__s_Stamp_004__Small_.jpg

Maker__s_Stamp_006__Small_.jpg

post-29-1199725038_thumb.jpg

post-29-1199725051_thumb.jpg

post-29-1199725066_thumb.jpg

post-29-1199725081_thumb.jpg

This is cool. Where did you get your stamp made? How much did you pay...if i may ask...

Bruce,

I am so glad I went back to look for this. I have been having a difficult time liking what I have come up with to surround my makers stamp. My stamp does not have an oval as part of the stamp but I couldn't get a good look. Any suggestion for stamping or tooling around an undefined makers stamp would be great. I just need something that doesn't take as long to put on as the saddle itself. I you look to my avitar that is what the stamp looks like.

Thanks to all.

I think it was Pete who asked how to do this pre-crash. I posted this little demo the night before cyber cardiac arrest. Here goes again. I used some scrap I had, didn't case it very well, and here it is. I do this a couple different ways, and will demo this one first.

In the first pic I have centered the makers stamp, and started the pattern. I usually stamp a row at a time, and start at the top. For no particular reason, I started this one at the bottom. Once I have stamped up to and kind of around the makers stamp, I shot some faint lines to guide the stamping on the other side of the makers stamp. I stamped partial tipped impressions around the cut border and the makers stamp to fade them in. In the second picture I have filled in the pattern. In the third picture I have gone around the cut border and makers stamp with beveler. You can see that it took out the crisp outer line of my makers stamp. In the final pic, I have gone around the makers stamp and cut border with a border stamp. To crisp up the makers stamp and re-establish the outer line, I carefully reregistered the makers stamp into the original impression and tapped it.

Kevin,

I would just do a beveled raised area more or less in the same general outline, but just kind of fade into it with a beveler and matter. Almost like laying it on a cloud sort of shape. No distinct straight lines, and gentle curves in a long oval pattern roughly mirroring the outline of the stamp. My other thoughts would be to lay it on a wooden plank/sign and then bevel around that if you want to be linear with it. I think I have a demo of that, If not I have a piece in front of me I could repost.

I really like your basket weave. I'm still having a problem keeping it straight. I see that you mark all the lines. I've been marking only the first one. I'm going to try it your way. I figure if I keep practicing I'll get better at it. Borders are still tough for me but I'm getting better at it.

Thanks for the pics.That really helped.Man I love this forum.Moon

I really like your basket weave. I'm still having a problem keeping it straight. I see that you mark all the lines. I've been marking only the first one. I'm going to try it your way. I figure if I keep practicing I'll get better at it. Borders are still tough for me but I'm getting better at it.

Carr,

Thanks. Actually, this is the only place I shoot lines. I will scribe in the guide lines to fill in on the "shadow" side of my makers mark, inlays, or center patterns. Otherwise I lay down one guide and roll. I did a tutorail in another topic on angled basket stamping with a template and angled basket stamping without a template. They pretty well show how I do a patch of basket.

This is cool. Where did you get your stamp made? How much did you pay...if i may ask...

Spider,

Let me know if you are interested in a Maker's Stamp. We made the one for TomSwede. Check out his Coffin notebook with the triangle and mariner's star. He wanted it for his rod acases and larger project but couldn't wait to use it so.........

Indy

:cheers: