LoyalNine

How Hard Is It To Learn?

I am considering getting a sewing machine. I am doing all my stitching by hand now and think in the next 6 months ill like to get a machine. Problem is this... I have never used a sewing machine let alone one to sew think pieces of leather and such... Question is this: How hard is it to learn? I am worried Ill spend the money and get completely frustrated with little to no knowlege on the matter. Likely will get a Cowboy 3500 or similar.

I have my machine, Cowboy 227R, about a year now. Like you when I got it I had never sewn on a machine . Best advice I can give is get some scrap and practice, practice then practice some more. Biggest hurdle I had to over come was not be afraid of the machine, let it be afraid of you, of course I have had to take it to a local shop a time or two and still am not at the level I want to be. It is getting easier, the stitches look better and the corners don't wander as much and I still practice everyday. Only regret I wish I had gotten a larger machine, oh well practice with a Volkswagen then drive a Cadillac.

I have 6 machines of various makes and abilities, once you start learning to use one it soon sinks in, it's quite straight forward to using one

When you get a machine, be sure to get the adjustable speed motor and speed reducer. That allows the machine to have plenty of torque to punch through the leather but still sew at just a crawl. Start off slow, maybe 1 stitch per second, using scraps as mentioned. Within a short period of time, you'll be waiting on the machine to hurry up and make the next stitch. Then you can increase the speed a little bit, and pretty soon you'll be sewing at a reasonable rate.

When I first got my Boss (hand powered stitcher) I was methodically checking the placement of each stitch. Then I learned to trust the machine to do the stitching while I did the guiding, and now I just get in position and start sewing. The same thing applies to the motorized machines....go slow until you're comfortable, then start speeding up. To specifically answer your question....you should be able to be at a reasonable sewing speed in 1-3 days. Mostly, you'll be learning to let the machine do the work.