Sign in to follow this  
Scary Leatherworks

Need A Screw

I have a Tandy swivel knife and the small brass screw that holds the blade needs replacing. Does anyone know where I can get one? I live in the middle of nowhere and the hardware store has wood screws and bolts.

Thanks

I have a Tandy swivel knife and the small brass screw that holds the blade needs replacing. Does anyone know where I can get one? I live in the middle of nowhere and the hardware store has wood screws and bolts.

Thanks

Might want to try this place...

http://www.mcmaster.com/#screws/=fgqnrw

You will need to know the dimensions though

Ask your hardware guy for a #8 32tpi set screw, 1/8" long.

If he doesn't have that you can get a 8-32 bolt and cut it to length, but you will want to buy a nut for it so you can remove it from the bolt after you cut it, this will help clean the threads so you don't bugger up the knife.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INSRAR2&PMAKA=431-0058&PMPXNO=2622085

Edited by Tree Reaper

Hobby store. Model airplane section. You want a set screw, a regular screw is way to soft to last.

Aaron

Hobby store. Model airplane section. You want a set screw, a regular screw is way to soft to last.

Aaron

A regular bolt will get you by until you can get a set screw.

The regular bolt won't be any softer than the brass screw he had but it will have a head on it which can interfere.

A regular bolt will get you by until you can get a set screw.

The regular bolt won't be any softer than the brass screw he had but it will have a head on it which can interfere.

I have to totally agree. If the correct screw was used in the first place, it would likely not need replacing today. Amazing the crap a company will do to save 1/5 of a cent.

Most hardware stores have those boxes with the lift lids that have a pretty large selection of set screws and the clerks sometimes forget about them.

Chances are they have them.

excellent. thanks for the info. Armed with that maybe I can track it down, No hobby stores around here so that is out but with size and pitch maybe it'll turn up

Another possibility is to locate a local gunsmith. He should have a quality setscrew that will do.

screws that lock down tandies belt tips in the buckle sets work great.

You can cut a slot in a short length of 8-32 screw with a narrow hacksaw. The slot will be a little wide but works as long as you don't reef down like a muscleman.

I have a couple if I can find them. I'll send you one, it'll be awhile getting there over the holidays but it's yours if you want it.

PM your address if you want and I will send it tomorrow.

Kevin