KGV

How Do I Make My Punches/holes Straighter

Hi all, I'm new to leather working and have made a few pieces but have a continuous problem, my punches/holes that I make with my awl aren't straight. I'm free handing the holes by setting a ruler next to the edge of the leather and making the indents one by one, using the ruler to guide my distance between the holes, everything is spaced out right but I can't get the hang of punching the holes in a straight line, is there a tool/skill that I need to learn or does it just come with practice?

Thanks for the help,

KGV

Practice is key.

First off, scribe a light line to follow and then follow it with a stitch marker. Now you have the holes perfectly spaced and in a straight line. All that's left is to make sure the back is straight too. For this, be certain you're pushing your awl through at the same angle every time and stick your elbow out so that your arm is straight as you're pushing the awl through.

Try either using a stitch grover and poke the holes in the grove or if you do not want to grove use a stylus and "draw" a line down a straight edge. The thread will hide the line.

Try either using a stitch grover and poke the holes in the grove or if you do not want to grove use a stylus and "draw" a line down a straight edge. The thread will hide the line.

Thanks so much both of you, electrathon, that's exactly what I need, a stitch groover and some practice punching holes should do the trick, again, thanks for all the help both of you!

Always keep your awl at the same angle, in two planes, the angle of the slit and perpendicular to the surface of the leather. If not always perpendicular, the backside will wander.

Tom

Some things I do differently, . . . but since most of my awl punching is done for small stuff, . . . I've gotten into the habit of using the edge of my work bench.

I've got a couple of small holes punched in there, . . . and I can lay that small piece up against the bench edge, . . . punch straight through, . . . and it is always 90 degrees and right on the money.

I actually don't do as good a job other ways, . . . this is my "preferred" position, . . . unless it is awful big.

May God bless,

Dwight

post-6728-0-76391500-1373221727_thumb.jp