celticleather

Thar she blows!

Each year I receive a few requests to renovate old fire bellows - usually in the winter, when people's thoughts turn to cosy log fires! The set that I completed last week were one of the most challenging yet, and I kept a photo-diary of the various stages of the job.I've launched it here in the form of two pdf files over two posts, because there are a lot of pics, and as a single file it exceeds the 1mb limit. See what you think! And here's part 2!

Bellows1.pdf

Bellows2.pdf

Bellows1.pdf

Bellows2.pdf

Edited by celticleather

That's amazing

Absolutely fantastic! Your craftmanship is incredible, and I particularly love the history lesson. What a great post! Cheers!

Beautiful Restoration and Awesome story :spoton:

An old friend dropped some bellows in about a month ago and wanted to know if I can renew them.. I've never tried this before, so no doubt you'll get a query or two sometime in the future!

Tony.

An old friend dropped some bellows in about a month ago and wanted to know if I can renew them.. I've never tried this before, so no doubt you'll get a query or two sometime in the future!

Tony.

Just ask away whenever you're ready! I have some pictures of the moulding process which may be useful.

Terry

Thanks for posting this. I enjoyed the pics of the work in progress and the history lesson. Posts like yours are some of my favorite things on this forum. :cowboy:

Thanks for sharing that, Terry! That is very cool! (or, warm, depending on how you look at it - LOL)

Kate

That is so cool and its so Steampunk too!!! Are you selling it?

Fantastic, I want:-)

Love the way you manage to capture the "old world" in the piece. I can see "the blower" in front of that old fireplace at the pub "The Drunken Duck" (sort'a) on a dark wintery day in the Lake District or other nice place in England.

Absolutely fascinating!

That is so cool and its so Steampunk too!!! Are you selling it?

The restoration was a commission for a guy in the west of England. He's moving lock, stock and barrel (and bellows) to Canada in March. I guess he'll find plenty of use for them over there!