troop

Question About Sting Ray

had a customer who wanted a paddle holster inlayed with sting ray. got the holster portion done but am curious about what kind of finish is ok for the sting ray itself. it looks to me that the sting ray may not need any finish but if so i'd appreciate any advice. this is my first work with any kind of exotics. thanks

Tony

Troop,

I've never used stingray, but I'd say any of the finished will do fine. It is naturally waterproof, so......... Semper-fi Mike

had a customer who wanted a paddle holster inlayed with sting ray. got the holster portion done but am curious about what kind of finish is ok for the sting ray itself. it looks to me that the sting ray may not need any finish but if so i'd appreciate any advice. this is my first work with any kind of exotics. thanks

Tony

I try a test on a small scrap and reduce the odds of using the wrong stuff.

Tony

Tan Kote or anything simular will work. Really don't need much of a finish.

Tan Kote or anything simular will work. Really don't need much of a finish.

I have used stingray and used no extra finish .

JR

thank you to all for the input. i ended up putting a light coat of bag kote, over the whold holster, then on just the leather areas heating in a few coats of neutral kiwi. i'll post pics when i get done with the whole thing.

Tony

Tony

Tony,

I recently bought some stingray myself. I was in the Tandy store when it was on sale, so I bought 2 small pieces to use. I haven't decided what to use it for yet, but I was wondering how it sewed, or maybe you just glued it for the inlay? I have a walking foot machine and was curious how the needle penetrated it. Also how did it cut? What did you use to cut it with? The little bumps on top feel like little bony pieces and I hate to use my good upholstery shears on it! wacko.gif

Looking forward to see some pics!

Thanks,

Bobby

here are some pics of the holster with paddle. Bobby it was hard to cut, i used both shears and a razor knife. it sewed easily with my cobra machine though, not really sure if i like working with exotics.

Tonypost-10372-062415100 1298931833_thumb.jppost-10372-052713600 1298931868_thumb.jp

Troop.

You might not like working with exotics....but it would be a pity if you stopped. That holster is beautiful. Nice work!

here are some pics of the holster with paddle. Bobby it was hard to cut, i used both shears and a razor knife. it sewed easily with my cobra machine though, not really sure if i like working with exotics.

Tonypost-10372-062415100 1298931833_thumb.jppost-10372-052713600 1298931868_thumb.jp

thanks Rick, i'll put it this way. i'll charge alot more next time ;)

Tony

Great job Troop. I really like your work.

thanks Rick, i'll put it this way. i'll charge alot more next time ;)

Tony

Tony,

That is a beautiful holster! What size thread did you use?

A beautiful holster like that for a Glock?! Talk about putting lipstick on a pig :rolleyes:

Bronson

thanks guys, Bobby i used 346 on the top and 277 on the bottom. and Bronson...hahahaha my sentiments exactly. i hate the glock but i do get alot of orders for them. they make pretty ugly formed holsters too. nothing to mold to...

Tony

thanks guys, Bobby i used 346 on the top and 277 on the bottom. and Bronson...hahahaha my sentiments exactly. i hate the glock but i do get alot of orders for them. they make pretty ugly formed holsters too. nothing to mold to...

Tony

My machine will only sew up to 207. I ordered 1 roll of Black and 1 of White today....that's as big as I can go until I get a heavier machine.

Bobby

Tony

Just curious, what would a holster like that sell for....you said you'd ask more next time?

Bobby

i actually traded the holster for some custom shirts with my leather logo on them from a friend who has a shirt business. equalled to about $100.00. would probably ask for about $120 to $140 next time for the paddle system. not sure if its not enough or not having been the first one i've done.i normally charge $80.00 for paddle systems, $60.00 for pancake and avengers, and $40.00 for IWB without any kind of exotic.

Tony