Sign in to follow this  
LeatherCaptain

How Do You Order Your Leather?

So, what do 'ya order? Drum dyed...Top grade...middle grade...special grade....sanded...?

What's really on my mind is what exactly do they do when they "paste" the flesh? does anyone order it this way?

Generally, I order the highest grade tooling/skirting, drum dyed black and then have the flesh side dyed after they split it. My last order was of the lowest "special" grade that was on sale. It wasn't bad but the grain wasn't as tight and there were quite a few marks and the fat wrinkles ran pretty high. I just ordered a middle grade back (no belly), drum dyed black, dyed and pasted flesh. I'm interested to see how the pasting turns out and if this solves the interior finish quest i've been on.

So, what do 'ya order? Drum dyed...Top grade...middle grade...special grade....sanded...?

What's really on my mind is what exactly do they do when they "paste" the flesh? does anyone order it this way?

Generally, I order the highest grade tooling/skirting, drum dyed black and then have the flesh side dyed after they split it. My last order was of the lowest "special" grade that was on sale. It wasn't bad but the grain wasn't as tight and there were quite a few marks and the fat wrinkles ran pretty high. I just ordered a middle grade back (no belly), drum dyed black, dyed and pasted flesh. I'm interested to see how the pasting turns out and if this solves the interior finish quest i've been on.

Well the pasted finish on the back is just what it says, it's pasted down, kinda like being slicked. You can save your self some money and do it yourself. Like when you have a belt that is not linned. I wet the back side and apply some bag coat finish and use a pice of canvas or denim and just slick it down like you would the edges. When the bag coat drys it will paste it down so it will stay. You can also use any number of products with the same results. Saddle soap will work but you must seal it with a finish to get the paste down effect. You can use any type of top coat finish for this. I also use the drum dyed as the dye seems to be struck better and tends not to rub off.

Good luck

Randy

Thanks for your response. I guess I'll just wait and see how this side comes in. I've been looking for a more "finished" interior and I'm hoping this works out. Even if it's an extra $.50/ft, at 24 sq ft that's only $12. That's cheaper than buying enough product to do a whole side by myself and it saves me some time. Also, I think the tanneries have access to chemicals and products that cannot be sold to the general public.

OK, so my leather arrived yesterday. Man that took forever! Anyway, I won't order the "Pasted" flesh finish anymore. It's not really pasted. It's just a spray on application that sort of slicks down the flesh side. But, not much more than the unpasted flesh I've received in the past. Not really a paste at all. More like a slight misting of hair spray. Overall, though, the back in the middle grade is very nice. The grain is tight and the thickness is even throughout. I'll get very close to 100% utilization out of this piece. And, even though the $/ft is more for a back, the total cost per unit is cheaper and I'll get the same amount of pieces out of it since I don't use the belly anyway.

Phew! Glad I got that process figured out. spoton.gif